Cold start V6 406

Months back I posted a enquiry about the cold start problem with my 406 and the general consensus was a faulty sensor. Well a fresh, to me dealer, took said motor allowed the car to cool , then plugged in the computer and no problems. They had it over night tried in the next morning and it was a bag of poo. A phone call later, stripped injectors, defective coil. New coil and £256 lighter the car is as good as new. So sometimes humble pie and use the dealer, all be it a different one.

Reply to
John Hollinshead

I was one of the posters who suggested the temperature sensor as the possible cause. Mine was proved to be so by overnight in garage, and the diagnostics on cold start in the morning. It has been fine ever since (16 months),

It is a shame that it cost you so much but good that you got it fixed because there is nothing worse than an intermittent sick motor.

Around the time that I posted there were two others that had the sensor go intermittent and as it costs about £20, it looks both like the most common cause and a cheap DIY fix. It does sound as though you have found a dealer who will go the extra mile to find faults but I would wonder why they stripped the injectors which is fuel delivery and then changed the coil which is electrical. The coil was without doubt the problem but the injectors may have been gummed up as well.

BTW I use BP Ultimate which apart from definitely giving more umph and proportionate economy is supposed to clean and maintain a clean fuel system. It takes a few tankfulls to deliver the benefits but they are IMO real, not imagined. (406 3.0ltr se coupe).

Liam

Reply to
Noone

The term coil was the phrase used by the dealer I suspect that it is in fact a part within the injectors and not the ol' HT type as this particular item was £140.00 plus VAT and I doubt that even Peugeot might not get away with that type of price hike. Anyway let's live in the Rose coloured world while I can yet again enjoy driving my pride and joy. And yes it does look as if I have found the good guys. So for anyone who is interested they are Cooksons of Macclesfield, Cheshire.

Reply to
John Hollinshead