306 stoplight

On the way back from work today the stop light came on, but only very dimly, when stopping and letting the engine idle it would disappear (alternator not giving full volts at idle I assume) Could anyone give me an indication as to why this light would be dimly lit?

No other warning lights have come on?!?

Cheers

Ben

Reply to
Benje

This is a bit confusing stop lights are at the rear of the car how did you noticed these light coming on? Maybe you mean the charging light came on especially as you seem to be linking this to the alternator.

Bill

Reply to
bill

STOP warning light in the middle of the dash!

Sorry if I didnt make this clear, kind of figured something out though, its linked to the engine fans and the fact that both of em are stuck on when the engine is running.

Reply to
Benje

Somebody had the same problem some time ago and this was my reply. Never heard/got any reply so may of helped or possibly another piece of useless info???

I had that problem with my 306 Lx D. As others have said it is serious WHEN it comes on with another indication (water temp or oil pressure) in my case there were no other problems or indications. It turned out to be a corroded connector on the water temp sensor. There are two wires to the sensor one is for the temp sensor and the other one is an over temp switch to earth which will bring on the STOP light, this was corroded and was some how going to earth and intermittenly putting the light on. The pin and the connector corroded so bad that the only cure would be a new sensor and connector. A new sensor is not a problem but the connector (blue IIRC) is only available in the form a new wiring harness at some horrendous price, needless to say it has not been replaced, a visit to the scap yard for a connector will suffice when convenient. The water temp gauge has been working Ok for last few months and the STOP light has not come on when it shouldn't.

Reply to
Maurice