CTi snapped timing belt: update

Hi all,
Well again, thanks for your answers and suggestions. Meanwhile I had checked the pistons through the spark plug holes and there appeared to
be marks so I decided it would be on the safe side to take the head off and see what happened. Good thing. The seal just about fell apart when I took the head off, and it showed definite signs of leaking. The valves do not seem to have taken any harm, so do the pistons, it must have been a strange reflection what made me think there were marks. So it seems I have gotten away. Besides, without the belt snapping, I wouldn't have taken the head off, thus, the next fault would have been the cylinder head seal as it appears.
Bye
Norman
Glad it was nothing too harsh - I hope my engine is a non-interference design but no-one seems to know at toyota. At least now you can take the belt back and see if they will give you the cash back to put towards a genuine pug one - they might have been iffy if you had tried to claim for a head rebuild.

Hi Norman,
Good news, then... With head off, I'd remove some (if not all) valves to check for a bent one. No marks on both valves & pistons isn't bad, but I'd lose some hours on checking for a possible valve problem. I hate doing twice the same job :-)
Regards, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr 205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel : http://205d.fr.st
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 12:48:49 +0200, G.T wrote:

I think, first I will look after valve clearance and then turn the camshaft and watch the valves from the piston-side. I figure I should be able to detect a damaged one that way without fiddeling every single valve out and back in. Have a neat flash light that will allow me to shine in and look at the valve-stem from piston-side.

Especially if it's something so easy as taking the cylinder head off ... :-)
Besides ... When putting the head back on, and fitting a new timing belt, how can I make sure the crank- and camshaft are in the correct position, since for each two turns of the crank, the camshaft only turns once. Any easy trick there?
Cheers
Norman
G.T wrote:

There is paint that is used to make scratches more visible when markins anything on metal, and also to show where things touch - how about putting this on the seats and then looking at the valves? You might be able to see where they do touch then - only make sure you clean up really good afterwards!
Tobi