[205] Retro fitting power steering - Any info?

Hi all,

Been away for a while (had a baby) but starting to get back into doing stuff to the car... I'm eyeing up a GTi powersteering kit (pump, belt, rack etc) but wondering if anyone had any experience of fitting this to a non-GTi that didn't have power steering to start with?

Cheers! Matt

Carb Peugeot 205 Roland Garros Cabriolet

Reply to
.

Welcome back!!! Congrats on the baby! Sounds like a lot of hard work for not much gain! Is power steering really that necessary? My new 205 :D doesnt have it, and its much heavier at the front than yours, and i dont really find it much of a problem. Although i suppose you get the benefit of a shorter rack. You might have problems because yours is an TU rather than XU. Where does the pump get its drive from? Where does it mount to (although that shouldnt be difficult to bodge as you've got loads more space under the bonnet). You need to get a good look at the kit to work out if its compatible!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Thanks! :-)

That's one benefit yes - the other is to make it a bit lighter for my wife. I'm more thinking of doing it out of curiosity!!!

That's the main thing I need to figure out - I know it should be possible but I don't actually know where it gets the drive from on a GTi? Can anyone tell me?

That's what I figured...

Ah well, if I can get it cheep enough, I may just get it while I can and figure it out later - If it can't be done, then I can just sell it again!

Were there ever any late TU engined 205's that had PS?

Cheers, Matt

Reply to
Matt

Hello,

Not sure, perhaps name was different at export, Sacré Numéro et Génération had PS as standard. These two names lead to 1994-1998 205s.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Well my old Dturbo took to drive froma pulley on the end of the camshaft, although the pulley was there anyway for the vacuum pump (which the GTi wont have). Cant remember how it worked on the 309 :(

Fair enough, thats hopefully what i'm doing with an intercooler for mine :)

No idea

Reply to
Carl Gibbs