Range Rover Brakes 2

As matter of interest how many miles should you get before having to change the discs?

Reply to
Rob

It varies wildly, according to driving style, (off)road conditions, etc. My 110 with 262,000 miles is only on it's 3rd set (it's been used off-road, for a lot of heavy towing and being soundly thrashed round the motorways), but others seem to be able to get through them in 10,000 miles doing the shopping!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

My previous L322 RR managed 60,000 on it's first set...

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Yes, this one was bought with only 40,000 on the clock and has never been out of town and had the Disks changed at 38,000 miles. It had also had 3 sets of pads changed, according to the service history.

Reply to
Rob

Rob uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I've a feeling that none Genuine ones may also be a little shorter in life than genuine ones.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

I've changed the pads once in 80,000 miles, it's also still got the clutch in it that's been in there since I bought it, no idea how many miles that clutch has done but I've put 80,000 on it without needing to change it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Disco 300 Tdi First set of pads changed at 38,000 (before we got it at

55k.)

Since then I've done maybe 40% off-roading with it, lots of motorway work in between, and maybe a thousand miles stop-go local small journeys. Had a new set of pads and disks at 65k and put another new set of pads on at 92k (all the above have all been done all-round).

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Thanks but not interested in the pads but in the disks.

Reply to
Rob

Infrequent short trips must be just enough to clean 'em up to have 'em rust again but you don't travel many miles.

The front discs on my Disco where done just before I got it at 29,000. The rears I've just had done at 61,000. Before I got it it was a "chelsea tractor" in Newcastle, it still does the school (5 miles) but most other trips are 50 miles or a couple of hundred.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Discs don't last as long now with the non-asbestos pads which seem to be very abrasive, probably have to change them now after every two sets of pads.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks, that seems to be what has happened with this RR although the front discs are much more warn than the rear and according to the service history have had the same no. of pad changes.

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote:-

Yes but the fronts have more piston area and do more work than the rears by design and when the front pads are changed any decent service engineer is not going to leave half worn ones unchanged on the back. And I should have said 'change discs with every second set of pads' although it's not long since I changed the front discs and pads on my RR (genuine parts), the pads aren't half worn but the discs look badly scored already.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Don't mind the pad changes but I wondered how much wear there had been on the rear discs since he changed front and rear at the same time. There is quite a bit of wear on the front discs, at the moment and very little wear on the rear. The replacements happened with the previous owner and since there was a brake "warning" and lamp problem this morning all 4 wheels have been off to check what the problem was and have gone through the service history for anything "brake" related.

Reply to
Rob

I actually posted in an earlier thread, but the EBA lamp was staying red and there was a "Warning " about brake pads.

Reply to
Rob

Low brake fluid level in reservoir will also light warning lamp, don't know if you have checked this.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I've just this month changes the discs on my 17 year old 90 TD from the original ones to some shiny new ones. It has covered 177000 miles (19000 on it when I got it) Mixed usage and pretty hard driving most of the time. Had to change the calipers aswell. Not so happy about that! =A3=A3=A3=A3=A3=A3

Jase

Reply to
Jase

I've just this month changes the discs on my 17 year old 90 TD from the original ones to some shiny new ones. It has covered 177000 miles (19000 on it when I got it) Mixed usage and pretty hard driving most of the time. Had to change the calipers aswell. Not so happy about that! =A3=A3=A3=A3=A3=A3

Jase

Reply to
Jase

Just for your information, the "brakes" are used to supplement, or even replace, the deceleration effect of engine braking. They are operated by applying foot pressure to the centre (or left in the case of an automatic) pedal. The amount of retardation is generally proportional to the pressure applied. You may find that use of the "brakes" radically reduces your stopping distances.

;-)

David

Reply to
rads

Ah, well, you zum of uz wuz brung up in them 'thar 'ol days when brakes wuz fur emergency stops and bringin' thur ve-hicle to rest[1], 'an t'engine wuz fur controlin' yer speed - if youm needin' them brakes you'se goin' too fast. Wurks well on 'em 4-cylinder Lanrover thinges. Not recommended fur them thur Nhisssan Micro thingies tho.

Richard

[1] that was the correct answer for a driving test until somwhere around the early 70's.
Reply to
beamendsltd