fuel filter on 309 1.4 petrol carb version

I changed my fuel filter recently. I installed fully transparent plastic version in order to see the possible dirt catched in a filter element. When I first switched the engine on the filter filled up with petrol right to the top. However, when I checked it later I found that there is only a little petrol covering the bottom of the filter element. It is installed in the right direction. Is this normal or is it a reason for concern? The engine appears to run normally. Thanks!

Reply to
mislav

What looks like a little petrol in the bottom of the filter is probably water.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

It wouldn't surprise me. But how is the fuel filtered if the filter element is not fully immersed in fuel?

Reply to
mislav

It is. What you think is water with air on top is actually water with petrol on top of it.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Thanks Ron. Should I try to get rid of that water or I'll be fine as long as the level doesn't rise significantly?

Reply to
mislav

If the car is running OK now and the water level in the filter isn't increasing I wouldn't bother, but there's no reason why you shouldn't the next time you are around there. Serves you right for fitting a transparent filter - gave you one more thing to worry about... ;-)

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Right. But at least I can compare gas stations now. Thanks!

Reply to
mislav