Hdi window wiper motor

Help required. I run a 2001 HDI Partner van, the question I have is, sometimes the windscreen wipers wipe very slowly, the otherday they even stopped on the second half of a wash wipe. The delay wash wipe seems to have no fixed delay, it seems to vary between 1/2 a second and 4 seconds between wipes which would be fine if I actually had a various wash wipe option and I could choose what it should be. . Are the motors in these vans / cars very weak, is it a universal motor between various Peugeot's? Any idea on the cost of a new motor?(Did Peugeot get Lucas to make the wiper motor for them). :o) Cheers

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Have a look at the brushes inside the motor, they could be worn..

Reply to
Chrs

Can you actually get at the brushes then, and replace them, I thought the thing was liable to be one of those (sealed units). The undo throw in the bin type of repair, that most things seem to be these days.

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Have a look at the rear of the unit, you might be able to see two or more screws, letting you undo the cover and getting to the brushes.

Reply to
Chrs

Weather is going to be cold at night and dry for the rest of the week.

Reply to
Chrs

Well , pulled out the motor this morning and had a look at the brushes, they all seem to be ok,with plenty left in them, I gave it all a good clean up, put it back together and refitted it. Guess what ? No change, its still very slow and stops half way across the screen as it dries up. I called Peugeot and they said around £87 for a new one. I am going to spray and oil all the linkages and let it soak right in and see if that makes any odds before I invest in a new motor. GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

I would try getting some oil into the main bushes at the base of the wiper arms. These can get very stiff, and water will get in at some time.

Reply to
Brian

Remove the lid on top of the motor (3 screws). Inside the lid are 3 (or so) "spring" contacts. Adjust them out, but take care not to break them. Use the opportunity to distribute the grease in the plastic machinery.

IPG

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason

Many thanks for the info, if its not raining I will give it a go, I noticed these plastic clips while I had the motor out but they looked the sort to snap off if messed about with. I will give it a go though and see what happens. Thanks again Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Right, I have once again pulled out the motor and managed to get at the internal gearing, it all looked ok, apart from the main shaft , the inner bearing was well and truly seized, so the reason for the wipers slowing and then stopping would be friction on the main shaft. I have tried everything I could think of to loosen up the bearings but to no avail, I have even heated up the outer casing but still no good. So I give up, I'm going to have to purchase a new one, and add another piece of rubbish to a landfill.

Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

Right, I have once again pulled out the motor and managed to get at the internal gearing, it all looked ok, apart from the main shaft , the inner bearing was well and truly seized, so the reason for the wipers slowing and then stopping would be friction on the main shaft. I have tried everything I could think of to loosen up the bearings but to no avail, I have even heated up the outer casing but still no good. So I give up, I'm going to have to purchase a new one, and add another piece of rubbish to a landfill.

Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

I can see again. i got the new wiper motor and fitted it today and all is well again, i did not realise how bad the old wiper motor was until i fitted the new one. It cost £82 all in ,so not too bad really. Thanks for your advise and help Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones