Volvo wiper motor problem

I've just bought a 1987 Volvo 240 Estate with one problem - the windshield wipers don't work! When I switch them on, I hear a "burring" noice coming from the wiper motor which changes in speed and pitch when I switch to fast mode. Is this an indication that the motor is broken or could it be the relay? The earth connection looks solid so I don't think it's that. Any help will be appreciated and in the meantime I hope the dry weather lasts! Cheers, JD

Reply to
jd

Sounds like it might be a drive or linkage problem. Ie. Motor working, but drive slipping, linkage broken, disconnected, etc. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Not being familiar with Volvos, I can only offer general advice. Maybe a Haynes w/s manual will have some diagrams of the linkage itself and how it connects to the motor. In any case, w/s wipers are quite simple mechanically, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to find the part on the wiper linkage that should connect to the motor shaft. Maybe the nut or whatever should hold the part has just come loose, allowing it to drop off. Try asking in one of the Volvo forums. Someone should be able to help with more specific advice if you need it. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Cheers - I think it is a linkeage problem as there appears to be no connection between the wipers and the motor. Thanks very much.

JD

Reply to
jd