Ignition return spring

I have an M reg Peugeot 306 XLD.

Recently the ignition key return spring has given up. That is to say when you turn the key to its furthest position to start the engine it stays there and doesn't spring back. You have to manually turn the key back. There is no spring action at all. Thinking it might be a sticking spring I squirted some WD40 in to the ignition key slot but this hasn't made any difference. Is this repairable or do I have to get a new ignition key lock ?

Thanks

Reply to
John

Mindwipe

Peugeot said I need a new lock and that I would need the key number if I wanted to have just one key to operate the ignition and doors. What do Peugeot key numbers look like ? If I remove the old lock would it be marked on it somewhere ?

Thanks

Reply to
John

Hello,

Theorically, on older Pugs (at least x05 series and early x06 series, I think) it was a small metallic plate, which should not be lost. For example, it stays on the spare key key ring (my case). Later Pugs use a card to give to the service team, ISO size (i.e, smart card / banking card size). Report to your manual to see what system it should be. BTW, the VIN may be enough. It worked for my brother (although not as "reliable" as keys nr).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T