Jerky ride at low revs on XSi - new Cat / Diesel contamination?

Hi all several months ago I rather idiotically half-filled my 306XSi with diesel. OOPS. Ling story, no need to go there, etc. I managed to top up the tank with petrol & limp home, topping up as I went to keep the Diesel percentage as low as possible.

Over the last month or two I've noticed the engine being a bit erratic at low revs. Well ... it's not exaclty the engine, but the ride is certainly jerky if I take my foot off the accelerator on lower gears.

The car has done 100,000 miles and I'm guessing that a new Catalytic Converter may be required soon. Might this explain what I'm experiencing, and might my diesel c*ck-up have brought on the problem or made it worse? Is there anything I can do to clean the Cat or similar?

Thanks for your thoughts Jon N

Reply to
jkn

My 306 1.4 1998 has always been jerky in 1st gear when taking foot off the pedal.

And I'd be surprised if a faulty catalytic converter (except it being blocked or dragging on the ground) had any effect on how the car drives.

David Hearn

Son's XSi has been the same lately. Pug read the fault codes and the lambda sensor is knackered. Just replaced it today and now need to reset the ECU to clear the fault codes etc. Could be the same thing as the deisel would have sooted it up a fair bit I suspect.

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff

Hi Len

[...]

Thanks for the suggestion. Having done a bit of reading, the DIY approach to reading the fault codes appeals to me & I'll take this further.

Cheers Jon N

Reply to
jkn

After replacement of sensor and then disconnecting batery for 10 minutes to clear all the faults in the ECU his car is now running perfectly! Pug quoted £125 for a new lambda sesnor, Ebay £18 !!

cheers, Len

Reply to
Len Cuff