Lost key - What is the best course of action?

Having broken my leg :-( I decided (unwisely it now seems) to lend my trusty 1994 405 to a friend, who has since lost the key. This was one of the infra red types.

I phoned the local main dealer about getting a replacement and he quoted £125!! I have still got a mechanical only key so I can still get into the car but I would like to continue using the remote central locking.

If I get a replacement IR receiver unit, with associated IR key inners, from a breaker, will it work with my central locking controller, or will I have to change that as well? (i.e is the code checking done in the central locking contoller or in the receiver module?)

Is there another way of programming the receiver/controller to accept a different key?

TIA

Rob

Reply to
Rob H

have to change that as well

This should work ok. Sender and receiver are tied to each other and can not be programmed. The central locking controller is a generic componenet.and does not require to be changed.

? (i.e is the code checking done in the

Code check is in the receiver module. (infra - red)

Not sure what you mean by this, but the plip in the 405 is not a transponder. You can remove the key from the plip case and use independently from the plip.No need to change locks. However if you have lost a key then the security of your vehicle has been compromised and a change of external locks may be an option that you may wish to consider. Try your insurance company!

Receiver and senders are quite hard to come by as I have found out!

Reply to
sid

Pure suggestion, although it maybe a long shot!!

Do you have a Timpson's near you (the Shoe repair & key-Cuting Place)?? I think they may also trade under the name of "Minuteman".

I noticed the other day that they imply that they can provide replacement Remote Keys - it may be worth asking in there!!

HTH

Regards, John

Reply to
John J. Burness

Have yoy thought about slapping your friend !!!! then get him to replace your key.

Reply to
Jdalt

Panic over. My Missis has been round for a 'proper' look for the key which she duly found in about 2 minutes...

Reply to
Rob H