Nissan key question

I'm after a spare key for a X-reg Micra. The one I've got has got the NATS keyfob which is a two-piece affair, the blade half (which appears to have a red bit of plastic stuck inside of it (which I presume is a chip for the immobilser) and the remote for the central locking (and maybe more security gubbins?).

I can see a few secondhand fob units on fleabay (with instructions on re-programming) but I'm not sure about the blade half. Do I have to get a key with a specific kind of chip in it? I've seen some for sale which specifically *don't* include a chip which isn't a lot of use to me as I want a spare key, not a replacement.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

See your dealer. I had a blue key cloned for my Fiat for £35.

Reply to
gazzafield

Get one with a chip. The trick isn't to code the key to the car, it's code the car to the key. I.e you'll perhaps need the dealer to add the key code to the immobiliser.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I tried that. A *lot* more than £35.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

It seems that a few places can clone the chip (negating the need to program the car) but as it isn't any cheaper than main dealer prices there's not a lot of point. :-(

Regards

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Got an old key and fob from e-bay and a new key blade blank (without chip). Got the key cut and transfered the chip from the ebay one so hopefully, the car can be programmed to accept the new key. (Just a shame it doesn't look like I can avoid the main dealer for this).

Meanwhile, hunted down various instructions for programming a new fob to the car and sucessfully *de-programmed" my working fob. :-( The problem was the lack of a working "lock" button on the fob (only the unlock works). So now I had *two* non-working fobs.:-(

I then had to rummage though my odds and ends to find a small switch to temporarily solder to old keyfob to get the lock function working temporarily. After *that*, I was able to go through the programming proceedure again and this time, I have two working fobs!

Why do these things have to be so bl**dy complicated!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie