Mileometer Not Illuminated 406

I have a 1998 406 1.9Tdi Estate. The mileometer and trip meter are working ok but are not illuminated. Does anyone know if this is easy to remedy or will the dash have to be removed to rectify ? Thanks for any advice, Regards, Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

I have the V6 auto estate and that has a dimmer switch to the lower right hand side, just above the fuse access and "hidden" tray. Just check it is not turned off, that's if you have one.

Reply to
John Hollinshead

Hi, sounds like a bulb has blown in the back of the clocks! To access the back of the clocks is not so difficult. The Haynes Manual covers it quite well with illustrations also! The bulbs are located to the rear of the instrument panel. This is the procedure from the manual (Chapter 12 item

9) as the manual has illustrations I think I should add some comments in brackets. Removal
  1. Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
  2. Fully lower the steering to improve access to the instrument panel.
  3. Carefully prise out the access cover from the driver's end of the facia (located between the facia and the door)
  4. Slacken and remove the three retaining screws from the top of the instrument panel. Carefully unclip the shroud and remove it from the vehicle; the shroud can be pushed out from behind, via the facia aperture.
  5. Unscrew the four instrument panel retaining screws. Insert a screwdriver between the top of instrument panel and the facia, and carefully lever the instrument panel out of position.
Reply to
Speedie