missing remote fob

I have a '99 t-reg 306 diesel which is missing the remote fob, would like to replace it but am unsure if i need an ir or rf fob.....can anyone help? thanks, april.

Reply to
april_yates101

Our 1998 S Reg 306 petrol has an IR fob. It talks to a small black pyramid inside on the roof where the interior light is. I guess, if you have the black pyramid, it'll be IR.

David Hearn

On 306s of this vinatge (MkII) the IR key only controls the central locking, the imobiliser is controled by a RFID chip in the key body. So you need a key programmed at the dealers :-(

Do you have the credit card like key code card?

Reply to
Phil Cook

I have a black pyramid thing in my 306- 99V reg but I have a radio fob!

Reply to
Len

If you have a phase 2 with the IR pyramid receiver in the roof console then you can just pick up a second hand key fob off ebay and program it yourself:

You can get the key blade cut and transponder chip programmed at many locksmiths.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Transponder programmed at a locksmith? I don't think so!

Reply to
What me worry?

You can certainly get the key blade cut at most harware stores and locksmiths. However, a new transponder chip, if you need one is a main dealer item only. However, you must have a non-remote key, and if you can get a remote fob, you might be able to take the transponder chip out of the key you have and put it in the new fob. If your car does take the late style IR remote, with the chip, then I have one which is useless to me as it came with an older '93 306. My wife's W reg 306 takes the later RF type remote.

Reply to
Brian

Not at all. Many locksmiths can do it. The transponder chips are also available freely .

Reply to
daddyfreddy

*IF* they have the car as well!
Reply to