Notorious seized passenger door

Hello all,

I've seen a few posts on this but I'm not quite sure if they match my problem - I'll summarise what I've found out from them. The passenger side lock mechanism seems to be stuck on my 205D Trio. Its impossible to turn the key in the outer lock more than about 30 degrees and the interior lock button won't rise more than a centimetre or two. It seems that it is the actual locking barrel that is seized, rather than the handle and associated levers, but I'm not sure.

After reading various posts I have managed the following:

- removed the door panel fixers using star-headed (torque?) drivers. Note that there are two different sizes of fixers used on the door - larger ones on the inner handle and smaller ones on the parcel pocket at the bottom and elsewhere, so buy a set of these if you don't have them. Also note that although the door trim is slid under the speaker panels, you don't have to remove these - just as well, as they are nearly inaccessible with the door closed.

- the panel is held in by plastic 'poppers' which come out by sliding a screwdriver or whatever around the edge of the panel - if you do this carefully, you shouldn't break any of them. Once the first pops, the others come out easily enough.

- Next is my first problem: removing the window winder handle. I have read that this is a 'friction fit' and that it should come off with enough pressure. Maybe I'm just not applying enough force through fear of breaking it, but I *cannot* get this b*gger to come off - any tips? It just seems to be jammed solid.

- Even with the panel held on by the winder, I can still get in at the lock mechanism (though I can't see it). I've soaked it with WD40 a few times but nothing is budging. Can anyone give me a bit of advice on what to try here?

Can anyone suggest whether the Haynes manual is any good for this? Would be very interested in any other insights to this problem.

Cheers, cam

Reply to
kadmon

Mine is the same although I've not got around to doing anything with it yet...

I'm resonably sure (as my current Pug has leccy windows) that on my old

205XE the winders had split-pin type things that grip the shaft (oo-er) - see if you can get a gap between the winder and the door card and shine a torch in. Sorry if I'm wrong, it's a long time ago.

Also check that the 'face' of the winder (the round bit) doesn't pop off and there's some kind of fitting behind it. (again, sorry if I'm wrong!)

Matt

Reply to
Matt

With mine it was the lift up door handle which had jammed. If this does not return to the proper place after opening the door, then it jams the locking mechanism. It is possible to remove the handle, 2 x 10mm nuts on the inside. Just difficult to get at. Also the operating rods are a fiddle. The window winder handle on mine did just pop off with a sharp pull.

Reply to
brian

kadmon schrieb:

My girlfriend's 205 has a similar problem. It happens because one of the rods that connects the lock to the locking mechanism slips out of it's place. Maybe your car has the same problem. If it has, be sure that you fix everything correctly, because when I fixed the lock, it broke again the day after.

You have to get rid of the door panel, that's for sure. You may have to use a litte mirror to see whats happening inside of the door.

cu, Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Lucas

In message , kadmon writes

Just a firm pull. I guess the temperature of the plastic may make a difference, a car left out in the cold may be more difficult than one that has just been driven for a while with heat on. If it is just that the handle has never been of before, then perhaps some lubrication might help.

I think probably not (without having looked).

You need the panel off. Even then access is quite limited. The actuating rods are each held in place by a plastic clip that rotates 180 degrees or so to release. If you cannot view one to see how it works you may find them difficult. The lock cylinder is held in place by a thin metal spring, an inverted U. You push it up and out to release the cylinder. Small hands, persistence & luck will all help.

Good luck

Reply to
Dave English

OK, finally prised off with a screwdriver - shot across the car at high speed but undamaged.

Yeah, the problem is that, even with the panel off, I have no idea what to do apart from drench it in WD40 and 'work' the mechanism back and forth, neither of which has achieved anything...

I reckon I can see how to remove this but I'm just not sure whether the lock barrel is the problem or the mechanism its attached to... I notice that raising and lowering the outer handle doesn't seem to move anything inside the door - this reminds me of another post I found where someone was describing a rod connected to the outer handle that could jam the mechanism by not returning into its correct place - can't find the post though.

Not sure whether to try removing the lock altogether (are these cheap to replace?)

Again, *any* insights gratefully received and thanks for the replies so far...

cam

Reply to
kadmon

Same here, but it was the bit behind the handle that was stuck - the handle went back ok but the link behind it didn't so the lock mechanism was stuck halfway, stopping the key doing anything. Not a long job so might as well take it all apart anyway before doing the complete dismantling. HTH, Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hmmm ... on a 405 I have a feeling the actuator was remote from the lock and connected by a rod. So if it is the actuator and not the lock you are wasting wd40 (didn't work for me either). I say this because I once had a rear door apart to replace a window motor and stupidly fouled said connecting rod when I put it back together. With the door locked shut there was no way to get the inner door panel off. In the end I had to cut through the inner door panel to where I remembered the rod was and give it a yank; the actuator wasn't strong enough. Then disassemble and reassemble. Still have the tape hiding the damage. I am not the previous poster on this, as I was too embarrassed to mention it before!

Reply to
Wichita

Same problem on an H-reg 205 Style

The first time I did this I needed to get a lever (big old screwdriver) under the hub of the handle (i.e. where it meets the shaft). Since then I've found that gripping the hub hard is enough. Don't grab the handle itself and pull, this will twist it.

I didn't find WD40 to be any use. I found that if you reach right in to the top corner of the door (I've got long fingers and could only just reach) there's a linkage not returning properly (downwards). Push it down for a temporary fix (e.g. if your fiddling has managed to jam it open, like mine did).

I temporarily fitted a spring and string lash-up to make this return but the sring broke after a few months - then it started working again. Next time it goes I'll look at taking the handle off (I didn't know it was possible).

There's nothing about locks in the 205 Haynes or any other I've looked in. I don't know if there's a car locks Haynes or similar - probably not.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hodges