205 GTi Respray costs

I've currently got a 205 Gti and frankly the paintwork is crap. Its the metallic grey one. If I was to completely strip the car, i.e seats carpets dash, lights engine etc down to the bare shell, how much would i be looking at to get it resprayed?

Is it possible to get a decent finish DIY using a compressor? And finally if I took the DIY route, do you strip the paint down to the bare metal or do you simply spray over the existing paint with primer etc.

Thanks Ben J

Reply to
Benje

primer

If you want a good job then expect 2000 or so. A crap job will be

200. If you have somewhere to work then buy the gear and spray it yourself, it is very satisfying. I would recommend a course at the local tech. first though. Preferably use two pack paint which will need special air respirator equipment or you die. Alternately have plenty of practise with cellulose. A cheap spray gun and compressor can respray a car and it will look good at the end, but you have to put the work in.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

It is, but metallic requires skill to do so.

It depends on what's wrong with the existing. If it is in good condition, but you just don't like the colour, it's better to paint over it. If there's loads of rust and stone chips or other damage, going back to bare metal might be easier.

But either way it's probably better and cheaper to just change the car. A total respray is only worth while if you can't easily buy a car in better condition - like with an old one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman