PEUGEOT 406 1.9 LX DT 1998

hi there just serviced my car but i don't know where the diesel fuel filter is located can anyone please guide me ???

thanks :)

Reply to
brithepi2k

Unfortunately my Haynes is in the car and my wife's driving it at present. But assuming it's the standard XUD lump then it'll be at the front of the engine to the left. Usually in a black plastic cylinder stylee cannister with four 4mm cap head screws holding the lid on.

Reply to
malc

hi m8 thanks alot i found a black canister thing towards the passener side with a pipe coming out of it and 4 allen keys bolts so maybe its inside that

thanks alot

Reply to
brithepi2k via CarKB.com

Open the drain screw first (with the pipe attached) before you undo the allen key bolts. Less messy that way!

Reply to
Nigel

hi m8 do i need to fill the canister with diesel when i put the filter in or does it fill itself when i turn the car over ??

thanks alot for your help :)

Reply to
brithepi2k via CarKB.com

It will fill but it's best to prime the system. On the diesel feed to the filter there will be a bulb (like the ones on blood pressure meautring wotsits [1]) that you can squeeze to pump fuel into the filter. Pump this until it goes hard (ooer Mrs). Crank the engine over. It will probably start then it may die. Repeat the procedure a few times possibly squeezing the bulb whilst cranking the engine if you have an assistant. Eventually you'll get the air out of the system.

-- Malc

Reply to
malc

Aargh!! The footnot fairy has struck.

That should read "measuring wotsits [1]"

[1] Sphygmanometers

-- Malc

Reply to
malc

Hi,

I totally agree with that. These cars are fit with the latest fuel filter type, in the small, black, cylindric plastic housing. The priming pump allows to fill in the filter with no tools. Upon pressing it a couple of times, you'll hear the air being pulled out of the fuel system. I never missed a priming with my good old '93 205, and still I changed the fuel filter a dozen of times.

Regards,

-- G.T

Reply to
G.T

hi m8 i found the correct thing filter goes in and the primer pump thing there is also a clear pipe hanging down i think its coming from the fuel filter thing its only connected to the engine end other not connected to nothing so i am assuming its some sort of breather pipe or for emtying the diesel out to change filter i dunno wether these cars are good or bad but for £200 with service history and 90k on the clock it must be a steal lol

thanks for your help guys you sure know your stuff :) are you clever enough to crack the original radio cassette code ???

cheers

G.T wrote:

Reply to
brithepi2k via CarKB.com

If you go back and read Nigel's post he tells you about that pipe and the drain.

Reply to
Keith W

hi does anyone know if the clock that tells u the mileage has a bulb i can only see the mileage the car has done in daylight but night time with lights on i can't see any and whats involved how hard to change the bulb for it

thanks 8-)

Reply to
brithepi2k via CarKB.com

From Mr Haynes: Clock Removal

1) Disconnect battery negative terminal. 2) Taking great care not to danage the clock or fascia, gently prise the clock out of position and disconnect it from the wiring

Clock Illumination Bulb

1) Remove the clock (see above) 2) Using a pair of pliers, twist the bulb holder through 90 degrees and remove it from the side of the clock

There is no mention of the type of bulb so you will have to find that out the hard way.

Reply to
Keith W

I think you'll find that's for the clock, not what the OP wanted, which is the odometer.

To get to that you'll need to get the instrument panel out which is a bit more complicated I think.

Reply to
malc

Have you not thought about buying a Haynes?

Reply to
malc

And why should he buy a Haynes? when he has got the group to help out . is that what we do is help other people.if not it not worth having this group running or being a member of this group.

Reply to
Chris

Oh jump off your high horse for a minute. It was just a bit of friendly advice. Although all the bits he asked about are in fact answered in Haynes BoLs and bits that he asked about and the group were unable to help him with.

Reply to
malc

yes your correct guys the odometer i like how you say prize it off there is screw plus part of the dash looks like it will need to come off around the heating system in total i see 3 screws

thanks guys :)

Reply to
brithepi2k via CarKB.com

its easy to say just pull things apart i don't think haynes manual says that lol

Reply to
brithepi2k via CarKB.com

It does but in a rather more correct manner :-). It also says things like assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Or in this case assembly is a case of pushing things back together.

Reply to
malc

Funnily enough I just got a letter from the opticians saying that I am due for a sight test (free at my age).

Reply to
Keith W