Peugeot 98 406 whine

My 406 has done 60,000 miles, it is a 1900 diesel. Recently I have noticed a a whine which increases as I accelerate, it appears to be coming from the front off side but whether from the engine compartment or tranmission it is difficult to tell. I have tried opening the bonnet and revving the engine but every thing seems fine then. Grateful for any ideas you might have. Have already had one problem resolved for me on this site(airbag light staying on) Hope that this is as simple to cure, but I don't think so somehow!!

Reply to
terb