Peugeot Sat Nav

Hi Guys, I have a Peugeot 406 S 110 bhp estate which is on its 3rd Sat Nav unit. All 3 units have failed with the same fault with the following error messages: CD ROM Missing, CD ROM Unreadable, Navigation System Initialising ( for up to 3 hours ) also some menu options "greyed out" & occasionally goes off for no reason.

In all 3 cases I have cleaned the CD and the laser lense without any improvement. I suspect the problem is related to disk read errors during the initialising process.

Another question, if a unit is replaced under warranty shouldn't that unit be covered for a further 12 months as the dealer wants £850 for another refurbished unit.

Any help would be appreciated. Dave G.

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

Initialising (

I would assume that any replacement unit would have it's own guarantee.

Under current consumer legislation, the "Supply of goods and services regulations 2002" to be precise, any item found faulty within the first 6 months is deemed to have been faulty at the time of supply, unless the supplier can prove otherwise. And that will require more than him saying "well it worked when I first switched it on", he would have to show that you broke it.

If in doubt about the val;idity of this, contact your local Trading Standards Office. It was the one for the SE which told me the above.

Reply to
Brian

Thanks for the info, unfortunately the latest replacement is 7.5 months old & I don't think I am going to win this one. ... Tom Tom maybe !

Regards Dave G

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com

I have the Pug system and have just bought the latest disc and quite honestly I find the system hopeless, so I have gone back to my trusty Tom Tom.

Bryan

Winchester UK

Reply to
Zoab

When it works its not too bad considering the technology is around 5 years old but it must be reliable to be of any use. I've just had another play with it and found that it has a 90% chance of working if I let it initialise before I start the engine. The unit has a very bad build quality, the CD transport mech is rubbish considering the bumps and vibration it has to put up with.

Dave G

Zoab wrote:

Reply to
Dave G via CarKB.com