Snatching Steering

Hi;

I have a 2005 Mondeo ST220, which I bought recently with 30,000 miles on the clock. It's a joy to drive, but has a niggling problem which hopefully some of you could advise me about. When manoeuvring slowly forwards (and I think to a lesser degree backwards) and on a reasonable lock on the steering wheel, I can feel a 'snatch' through the wheel, as if there is a degree of play somewhere (I'm a mechanical numpty I'm afraid). I've taken it to my local Ford dealership, Evans Halshaw, and their technician reckons it's the tyres? They were fitted brand new by the dealer 6 weeks ago, and while they are not the best around (Nexus), they seem to have good reviews. I'm sure the sensation I'm getting through the steering wheel is a mechanical one, and for the life of me can't see how it can be attributed to the tyres!

Any advice gratefully recieved!

Chris

Reply to
Spencer

Without experiencing this directly it's a bit hard to say. However, different tyres do make a car feel strange sometimes.

I always ran my Focus on the original fitment Continentals, and was satisfied with them, apart from the high wear rate. I was persuaded to change to Goodyear NCT5's last time. Big mistake! Apart from having much less grip in all situations, they are affected at very low speeds by any small ridges in the road. This pulls the steering one way or the other. (The phenomenon is known as tram-lining I believe.)

It is so pronounced, I was convinced there was something wrong with the steering or suspension at first. However, I've been over it and can find nothing wrong. I'm now convinced it is the tyres.

Perhaps this is what is happening to your car?

(another) Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'm pretty sure Mondeo's are quite bad for doing bushes. Especially an ST220 that's been driven hard. Does it pull to any one side when accelerating hard in 1st/2nd or braking? (Only try this on an empty road with a loose grip on the wheel!!) Centre the wheel and plant it in second while rolling. Get the car in the air and have a look at the lower track control arm bushes. Look for split / perished rubber. They are fairly cheap to buy, and easy to fit if you're almost competant DIY wise.

Then again, it's a 2005 car so should be under warranty. Get it back to the garage and ask them to inspect the suspension bushes.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Thanks for the replys;

Sandy Nuts - your comments sound spot-on; It's a relatively new car, but with the reverse gear being very stiff to select, the said garage said a new clutch was needed. Thats where the car is today, having a new clutch fitted.... £800 - ouch! Luckily, Ford themselves have agreed to pay 50%, though £400 is still a hell of an unwanted bill after only 6 weeks of ownership! So that leads me to think that it has been driven pretty hard with its previous owner, so thanks for the tip re: the bushes. I shall certainly mention that tomorrow when I pick it up.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply,

Chris

Reply to
Spencer

Don't worry, it probably will handle differently after the clutch job!!

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Is the snatching a regular kick as the car moves? Could be a CV going a bit stiff, but the car's a bit new for that... Still, check the CV joints and boots.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

That is as as you describe it, but please tell me (if you don't mind) what a 'CV Joint'' is?!' Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Spencer

"Spencer" wrote in news:4626b18f$0$8743$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

The old swap front tyres to rear should rule out the tyres, but as others have said, sounds more like worn bushes.

Reply to
Tunku

Spencer ( snipped-for-privacy@edcot.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Adrian