Fiesta power steering pump

I think the powered steering pump is on its way out. With the engine running, turning the steering wheel makes a horrible whirry/motor noise, noisier than the engine.

I am not sure if it is a job I can do myself (I imagine it involves taking the timing belt/chain off), and I won't have time until next weekend, so do they take a while from first hearing the noise before they fail, and what happens when they do fail?

How much should I expect to be charged for fitting a new one? It is an 03 Fiesta 1.4 TDCI.

Thanks

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Silly question maybe but have you checked the power steering fluid level? Any leaks?

I would imagine the Power Steering pump is driven by an auxiliary belt, not the cambelt so I doubt you'd need to take the cambelt off to replace the PS pump. This was certainly the case with Mark 4 Fiestas. But I could be wrong about your vintage.

Don't know I'm afraid.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Getting the same problem with my 03 Ford Mondeo at the moment. Mentioned it at my recent service and they suggested a new battery?! Haven't replaced it yet but noise is definitely progressively worse...mostly when stopping at junctions and moving at slow speeds.... same with you?? Tony any suggestions?? Thanx Skid

Reply to
hackandslash

Tony Brett wrote in news:erklo1$gr7$ snipped-for-privacy@frank-exchange-of-views.oucs.ox.ac.uk:

Definitely check the fluid first. Very young car for a pump failure. Perhaps the belt is slipping?

Fuel pump is driven by the cambelt, but not the PAS. It will be a normal serpentine belt.

Check the fluid first, then prove it isn't just the belt slipping. Try putting some talcum powder on the inner side of the belt.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

I have checked the fluid level - it is OK. It doesn't sound like a slipping belt, they normally screech, right? It sounds like a cross between a hammer drill and a pnumatic drill whenever I move the steering wheel. It has done

68,000 miles - does this sound a likely age for pump failure? I had a J reg cav that was 4 years old at 35,000 miles, and the pump went on that (slight noise/vibration on full lock), but the dealer fixed it for free.

I will try that when I get chance.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

umm... Perhaps they think it is battery powered?

More noticable when stationary - it is louder than the engine. I can still hear it slightly when moving faster. Is your noise a cross between a hammer drill and a pnumatic drill? Mine just came on suddenly a couple of days ago - not noticed it worsening yet.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Well there was a leak - I checked the level, and it was full. At the garage, they thought it was full, until they started the engine, when the level dropped about 3"! Apparently a pipe was rubbing and wore a hole in itself. They could not get the part straight away, so they cut the damaged part out, and bunged a piece of pipe in as a temporary measure. Best of all, they did not charge me! (Probably waiting for me to go in to get the proper part fitted)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith