Pug 1.1 cambelt change costs?????

O.K. it seems exceedingly sensible to change the cambelt on this little Pug that I have taken over to look after. It seems not to have been done. It will be 8 at the end of August. It has not been driven for 2.5 years. So..... what'll it cost for the cambelt to be changed folks???? Any ideas - so I can start looking for the piggy bank!!!!

Reply to
Him at home

Very simple engine design - I'd expect my local guy to charge around £100 for a belt change and oil / filter change.

Reply to
SteveH

"Him at home" wrote > So.....

45 minutes labour plus the price of the belt. On my Sierra it used to be £51 inc VAT. Half as much again on a Peugeot I would say.
Reply to
Knight Of The Road

If the poster is all that skint, I usually find selling a child - or stealing a child then selling it (and feigning denial when the law appears) usually works for me; but only with peugeots. Shame.

Reply to
Taylor

"Chris" wrote

This is not necessarily sensible advice. I could change a Peugeot cambelt myself if I had a workshop manual, possibly a special tool or two, and a morning in which to do it but it would make more sense to volunteer for some overtime at work and use my earnings to pay a far more experienced person to do it for me.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Apparently it needs some locking pins and a tensioning tool plus a

1.5kg weight to hang off aforementioned tool.

Other than that, there's nothing overly complicated.

Reply to
Conor

Do it your self,

Reply to
Chris

Should be no more than =A3100.00 inc vat and labour Chris Addlestone Surrey

Reply to
Chris

"SteveH" wrote

Yes, but the thing is that I can sit on my arse listening to my favourite CD for a couple of hours watching beautiful scenery roll by and earn enough to pay an oily cancer-handed mechanic to change my cambelt, and then some.

So why would I do it myself?

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Because it'll only take a couple of hours to do at worst and your hourly rate is less than the hourly rate of the mechanic you pay to do the job.

Reply to
SteveH

As i know there is no special tools needed, just a lot of cups of tea. chris Addlestone Surrey

Reply to
Chris

Its not deisel is it ? so what do u need the locking pins,if u take your time removeing everything you will have no problem putting it back in the same place. so good luck give it a go.yes it is a bit tight in the wheel arch but i can do it from top and side, Good Luck from Chris Addlestone Surrey

Reply to
Chris

Yeah - depends entirely on the car.

Have no idea about Peugeots but a Fiat 131 cambelt I did do and it wasn't hard. Daewoo Lanos 1.6 DOHC - forget it, I'll leave the cursing to the mechanic (and he will on that car).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

TO lock the crank and camshaft pulleys in place.

And you need to set the right tension on the belt.

Reply to
Conor

"SteveH" wrote

I don't get an hourly rate, I get a daily rate. So I can work 4 hours on a saturday morning and earn £107.50, as I did yesterday (over half of this "work" consisted of sitting on a cross-channel ferry reading a newspaper) I would sooner do this and leave the dirty work to someone whose living depends on it.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

And I got tomorrow cancelled as my load was moved to Tuesday. As I was booked for the whole week, I can bill £80 for tomorrow as I sit at home.

Reply to
Conor

What you on? if you do these every day of the week like i do you dont need any of those tools.

Reply to
Chris

I bet you change belts on Zetecs without fitting a pulley kit as well.

Reply to
Conor

The message from Chris contains these words:

I've often wondered how necessary they are. If you mark the pulleys so you get their relative positions right, what need for pins?

Reply to
Guy King

NO WE ALWAYS REPLACE THE PULLEYS IF THEY LOOK WORN WHICH IN MANY CASES ITS A LOT..

Reply to
Chris