Re: 306 rear drum brakes

I need to replace the brake cylinders on my 1995 306 XTdt soon and >have 3 questions:

> >1) I don't know what type of brake shoes are fitted, i.e. Girling or >Bendix. Is there a way I can tell without first removing the drum?

If you give me your VIN number (starting VF3) I can find out for you qt work, though it won't be until Tuesday now, with the Bank Holiday.

2) What would have been the original type and is it possible they >could have been changed from one type to another?

Possible, but unlikely. It would entail a change of backplate, plus all the springs and adjusters.

3) Andyspares.co.uk mention brake cylinders with or without a >compensator. Since my car DOES NOT have ABS am I correct in thinking I >will need cylinders WITH compensators?

Not necessarily. But I would know the correct type from work. Unless you're desperate to do it this weekend!

Thanks in advance, >Stuart >
Nigel

Holiday.

thinking I

Thanks for the info Nigel. I've decided to take the drum off and take a look.

I went to Halfords yesterday and they gave me some useful advice on how to check if I need a Girling or Bendix brake cylinder. They said you could tell from the shape of the casing around the bleed nipple. Also, their computer didn't mention anything about compensators but they did ask if I had ABS. So I'm pretty sure that once I know if I need Girling or Bendix I'll be able to source a new cylinder.

Thanks again, Stuart

Stuart Dalby

now i could be wrong but all the rear brake cylinders are the same it's the shoes that are different. When i recently got some new ones my dealer friend didn't need to look at them at all. he only need the series (1, 2 or 3) and was it a dielsel or not with ABS or without.

Reply to
SimonDS