Reprogram 406 remote door locking?

My 406 HDi (2002) had some work earlier this week which involved disconnecting the battery. After this I found that the remote door locking no longer works. I know it's a relatively easy job to re-register the key with the car locking control sensor thingy because I've seen it done.

I found some instructions on how to do it here:

but they don't seem to have done the job. (We've only got one remote key and it has one big button for 'lock' and another, smaller one, for 'unlock' and no LED. So I unlocked the car manually, turned on the ignition, pressed the big 'lock' key once and then pressed it again. Turned off ignition. No joy with remote locking the car, although at least it starts ok).

Are these instructions correct or am I missing something? (Have you got to hold the button for x seconds and say a magic spell or something?)

Thanks in advance,

- Pete

ps - changed the key battery only a couple of months ago, so it's not that.

pps - I don't seem to be the only one with this problem

Peter Narramore