Running dry of diesel

My little pug 205d ran out of diesel the other day. First warning was the revs climbing - opposite from running out of petrol. What is that? is it sucking oil from the engine or something? Anyway I filled up with a gallon in a container from the petrol station which was 300 yards away :-( It took a couple of turns on the starter but it seems to be Ok now. Any warnings on running out of diesel? I've heard it's a big no-no on some engines. Reason I ran out? I thought the tank held 55 litres. It doesn't, it's 50 litres. I put 48 litres in it to fill it up and got 505 miles out of the tank for my trouble. I know know to fill up at 450 miles !!

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

The problem used to be that the fuel lines could get air in them if the tank ran dry. When extra fuel was added the fuel pump would not self prime and the fuel stayed put. Those vehicles usually had a hand pump to prime the mechanical one.Virtually all diesel vehicles now have self priming pumps and the problem does not occur.

Generally speaking it is not a good idea to run tanks dry or even low as it increases the probability of crud from the tank blocking filters.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

And, as in the case of a 106 we had in last week, the pumps are lubricated by the diesel. Run out of diesel, engine stops. Owner doesn't realise that it has no fuel and keeps cranking the engine to try to start it. Pump is now dry and breaks up internally. New pump fitted ata cost of £800.

Reply to
Nigel

Usually an orange light on the dashboard! :-) Only kidding, couldn't resist!

Cheers, M

Reply to
Matt

*Usually*

The one time I ran out of juice in my 205 Dturbo I didn't get an orange light. It worked fine every time before and since. To make matters worse I had been using the loud pedal a lot on a journey from London to Scotland. I was about 15 miles short of my usual fill-up point :-(

Reply to
Phil Cook

LOL - talking about orange lights, I was hoping one would come on. Does anyone know if a warning light is standard on the 205D? mine is a N reg probably the base model ( I don't know the different flavours of 205 yet). Iwas going to pull the dash this weekend to have a look at wiring bulbs etc.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Must have done some cranking to do that surely? Or are some pump makes less robust than others? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Hello,

This plus injectors (same problem). Not a big problems on old Diesels if you don't try and try to start. I imagine it is destructive on modern Diesels, like HDi's.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi,

Yes, 44l "main tank" +6 l reserve tank (light on).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi,

Of course it is standard ! See the "pump" symbol above the gauge ? It is fully illuminated when on low fuel. You can't miss it :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

GT, do you know if I should have a light on when low on fuel? Because one never came on. When I ran out of fuel I thought I had another 50 miles in reserve LOL, but I was doing it off the tachometer, not the fuel guage. and calculating the tank at 55l. :(

Reply to
Stuart Gray

It wouldn't take much cranking to destroy the pump if no diesel were present to lubricate it. How long would an engine last on tickover with no oil??? Not quite the same, but you get my drift.

Reply to
Nigel

I get the idea. Thankfully I knew I was at the end of the tank. BTW, any ideas why, when you are running out of diesel the revs climb and dip to normal, but in a petrol you usually dip revs and come back up to normal with fuel starvation? I understand the petrol engine, but the diesel one is still a bit of a mystery to me. It appears to be a gigantic fuel metering system with the engine tacked on, as opposed the the petrol engine where the fueling system is incidental to running it as long as something drips petrol and something sparks it.. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

You should get an orange light just next to the R on the fuel gauge.

My handbook (1990) says 11 litres if the lamp is intermittent and 3 litres when it is on steady.

Reply to
Phil Cook

Depends on version G.T. If your dash is old style with the slot of lights above it then it's as you describe. If it is the modern all in one, then there is a small light next to the R on the gauge.

Reply to
Phil Cook

Thanks guys - mine has the slot of lights. Looks like half a frisbee above the instrument panel. I see the petrol pump symbol, or is it a diesel pump? ;) It definately did not light. I guess I'll be looking at bulb, wiring, etc. once I get my car back from the garage it came from. I broke a front coil spring, and I'm not ready for the lowered look yet. I do have the perrerpot alloys on it tho. :-)

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Hi,

True, but I was assuming it was the "basic" dash, not the DTurbo, (late SRD's ?) one. Although it could be different at export.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

I don't know, or rather I can't remember, the ins and outs, but it is to do with air getting to the pump and injectors. If you get bad starting and you eliminate the glowplugs side of it, you can fit a clear pipe between, say, the filter and the pump, and watch the air bubbles go through. You should only get small bubbles, or none, normally. If a big bubble goes through, the revs will rise momentarily. Too many big bubbles, it will cut out. Move the clear pipe to different parts of the fuel circuit, you can usually work out where the air is getting in.

Reply to
Nigel