Those lovely smoky mornings....

Hi,

had a 405 1.9 Turbo Diesel for about 3 months now.

It seems very willing and pleasant to drive.

However it has started to take a little longer to start in the mornings, with the resultant cloud of smoke when it starts. It missfires for about the first 15 seconds. When I first got it there was no such problem.

I reckong the glow plugs are still working because it won't start without the pause for the light to go out.

So what does the team think?

A dose of injector cleaner? If so, which one?

New glow plugs needed? If so, genuine Pug or 3rd party?

TIA Dave R

P.S. getting between 40 and 42 mpg on mainly 50-70(ish) mph runs. Is this about right?

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Hi,

You may well have a glow plug on its way out. My 205D had a terrible start when I changed them, and there was only 1 healthy glow plug out of 4.

You could take Pug genuines (should be Bosch or Beru), else buy good 3rd party plugs. I had Beru as original plugs, now I have Bosch Duraterm series, I can't tell more 'cause it was just 3 months ago.

HTH, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote: > Hi, > > had a 405 1.9 Turbo Diesel for about 3 months now. > > It seems very willing and pleasant to drive. > > However it has started to take a little longer to start in the > mornings, > with the resultant cloud of smoke when it starts. > It missfires for about the first 15 seconds. > When I first got it there was no such problem. > > I reckong the glow plugs are still working because it won't > start without > the pause for the light to go out. > > So what does the team think? > > A dose of injector cleaner? > If so, which one? > > New glow plugs needed? > If so, genuine Pug or 3rd party? > > TIA > Dave R > > P.S. getting between 40 and 42 mpg on mainly 50-70(ish) mph > runs. > Is this about right? > --

Try leaving it slightly longer on preheat before trying to start the engine. If it starts better then it is probably dirty or coroded glow plugs. I drive my XUD quite hard so I get soot buildup and get the same problem. If I leave my car to warm slightly longer it makes a plink noise and then starts fine. Mine starts properly again if I take out the glow plugs and wipe off the carbon deposits with a dry clean cloth or shammy, I just can?t be bothered most times.

Reply to
Streltsky

Also check your cold starting mechanism. On my Peugeot 205 D Turbo it is a cable going from the thermostat housing to the fuel pump, it pulls when it's cold and releases when warm. Mine stopped working so I just adjusted it open permanently, smokes a bit more but starts great.

Andy

Reply to
andy

They needn't be expensive. Look here, for example:

I bought a set of genuine Citroen plugs from E-bay for about £10 inc P&P and they've been fine.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Howarth

> > I bought a set of genuine Citroen plugs from E-bay for about > £10 inc P&P and > they've been fine. > > Chris

Cheers but I?ve already bought and fitted a set of Bosch. Plus I don?t use E-Bay on principles I won?t explain here (cos it?d take too long).

I did post a few hours ago that I can?t get one out, but the post seems to have dissapeared :? The hex bit that you?re meant to unscrew them with is separate from the body on the second plug from alternator end so I can?t shift it. Going to ask my mechanic to try and shift it tomorrow while he?s fitting a new cambelt.

Any suggestions would help just incase he can?t shift it.

Reply to
Streltsky

I may be wrong (I usually am) but doesn't the preheat stop when the yellow glow-plug light goes out?

Otherwise you could turn the ignition on and leave it (for good or bad reasons) and the glow-plugs would be on permanently.

Perhaps turn on, then when light goes off turn off and on again quickly for a second shot?

I may take the glow-plugs out for a look this weekend.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Hi,

Nope, not with PPR-boxes (Pré-Post chauffage rapide, should give Pre-Post fast glowing). You'll hear the relay clicking a little after the yellow light comes off, that is the real end of glowing.

That is a good idea (although it didn't help me a lot).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

The light goes out when they reach optimum temperature but power continues to flow for another 30 seconds to 3 minutes depending on the ambient temperature (quoted from Haynes).

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Depends on how heavy your right foot is, and the duration of the journey and type of road. Not unreasonable though.

That just alters the tickover speed, increases it when cold. It will make no difference to starting or normal running.

Brian.

Reply to
brian

I agree, the cable is just a thermostatically controlled fast idle system, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy