406 cooling fan - which sensor?

Anyone know what the different colour coded sensors (3 of them) are on the 'stat housing? My fan's not running so need to short the fan switch to test it but not sure which of the 3 it is.

John

Reply to
John Ricketts

Not sure on the 406, but thermostatic switches for the coolin fan are usually in the radiator housing itself (they are on pug 106)

Reply to
Ray Bentos

Not on the 406. Three on the thermo housing. Blue does the gauge, green does the ECU, brown does the fans As a quick check, with the engine running, disconnect the brown one. The fan(s) should come on fast speed. If ok then the fast speed does work. But the slow speed could still not be working. You need to check the relays, resistors and connectors, and generally the wiring to the fan(s).

Reply to
nigel

Cheers Nigel. I had assumed it was the blue one (only having a single spade in it). Fan fires up on full speed when you pull the brown one, so suspect the switch is duff.

John

PS. Must get around to buying a workshop manual! Far too many wires and switches these days! PPS. For future reference, where is the fan relay on these, it doesn't seem to be in the engine bay

Reply to
John Ricketts

upperside between the fans, triangularish box

the fault can be in the wire loom that sits behind it

Reply to
Marc

Ah... pretty good at hiding things aren't they?

Reply to
John Ricketts

i searched for two hours for the damn thing then i called a family pug dealer to point me out ( to damn proud to do that earlyer)

your fault might well be in the ground cable from one of the relay's mine was rotten of after two years of salt in wintertime....

Reply to
Marc

Reply to
MICHAEL ROCHE