Lovely...

...day for cycling to work. 4 inches of white stuff everywhere; 3 cars parked decoratively in the hedgerows, one transit parked inventively in the boot of an astra and general gridlock on all the A roads.

Actually, cycling the 6 miles was quite an epic journey, but good fun, and a good education in the effects of power oversteer, the benefits of momentum and the value of the gyroscopic effect. On the other hand I appear to be the only mug who actually made it to work :-/

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Working from home (as usual), and looking out at the pretty snow falling out the back. There's not that much, as normal on Teesside, I believe the rest of the North East is under about 10 feet of snow or sommat

Reply to
Abo

Yup, all the schools are closed, and gf (teacher) keeps texting and telling me how lovely it is being out with the dogs in the snow. I'm

*still* the only one who has made it to work, and am feeling like a prize mug. Still, today the kettle and toasty maker in the kitchen are mine, all mine! MuahahahaHAHA! *ahem*
Reply to
Albert T Cone

And I must apologise for scaring a cyclist when I tried to move off at some traffic lights, whereupon the Saab decided she'd step to the left by about eight inches, causing some concern to the cyclist next to me.

Yeah, I saw one incidents, which really should have been avoided by all concerned. Vehicle runs into a parked car at barely-above-walking-pace. Another car runs into the back of that car. Third car has a very slow side on to the head on of an oncoming vehicle whilst avoiding running into the back of the car that had just run into the back of the car that had just run into the parked car...

I do wish my mirror had a camera for the insurance companies concerned.

Reply to
DervMan

Driving the Vectra this morning and tried to turn into my street. The road was slippier at this end than further down near the traffic lights I'd stopped at, and I broke traction with a tiny dab on the brakes. So I released the brake, got traction back and tried to turn but now the car hasn't slowed enough to turn in the slippy conditions, broke traction and understeered towards the other side of the road.

So I handbraked the thing straight and just carried on. The guy on the other side of the road had a right look on his face...

Reply to
Abo

Damn sunshine here. We never get the white stuff :(

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I drove to Glasgow. During the snow. During the night.

The trucks I was following were not leaving visible tracks - the snow was filling them over too quickly.

Took me about 7 hrs.

Coming back on Thursday went to pass a convoy of trucks on the A66 to find Lane 2 suddenly snowed over. ESP rocks.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Heh. You were lucky to get through - a few of the chaps I work with are from that neck of the woods. The A1 end of the A66 was closed for large sections of the day by lorries which had overturned/skidded. One chap gave up after having to dig himself out 3 times in the first mile and went home and built an igloo instead.

Reply to
Albert T Cone