Timing Belt Break

Hi folks, has anybody ever been unfortunate enough to experience a timing belt break whilst driving, (in a Peugeot 306 DT), if so any info on likely damage that has occurred would be appreciated, cheers guys, supa

(a little additional info, was driving on an A road, about 50-60mph, the engine overheated which probably lead to the timing belt melting enough to snap. The timing belt wasn't great but according to by mechanic it had a year left in it, not that it matters now:)

Reply to
supasharpshoota

No I haven't. I once had an alternator belt break and a piece of that got into the belt and jumped it a tooth - a very lucky escape.

A broken timing belt will result in severe damage to the head and pistons. Due to the high compression of a diesel enginge you will have bent all the valves and guides, damaged all the pistons with possible connecting rod damage too. At the very least it is a complete strip down and rebuild. I'd say you are looking for a replacement engine. :-(

Reply to
Phil Cook

By coincidence I was talking to my repairer the other day when he had replaced my crankshaft pulley and we spoke about cam belts. He reckons that Pug engines are not as bad as some and you can be lucky and just have bent valves although I stress the word lucky.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

i think worse case .. valves to be honest (agree with keith)...but peel the lid off and have a look !.. mark

Reply to
markmtbanks via CarKB.com

Been there, got the tee shirt. 405 TD in my case. The camshaft was in three pieces, and all three bearing caps were broken. A couple of valves were slightly bent, but no damage lower down at all. Problem is that the bearing caps are line bored, you can't just get new caps and fit them. I got an exchange head from a nice guy in the Winchester area I think. He didn't care what the condition of the old head was, and he delivered too.

Don't believe the bit about your timing belt melting though.

Reply to
Brian