TMC in UK

Hi,

For any peugeot drivers with the Rt3 sat-nav system (the mono or colour screen version), I have been dealing with Peugeot to ask why the TMC system does not work in the UK, whilst it does work in the rest of Europe. The TMC is the Traffic Monitor Control system in-built within the RT3 which detects signals of slow traffic, accidents and causes the sat-nav to automatically reroute the car to the fastest route around the problems.

As I say, it works in the rest of Europe, but just not in the UK becuase PSA, the company that works with peugeot to produce the sterio/sat-nav wont pay for a UK licence as they state that the UK is not intrested in such a facility.

In a reply from peugeot, they say:

"Thank you for your email dated 4th August.

I have spoken to our Technical Department, and can confirm your sat-nav system does not receive TMC signals. Nor is there any plan to change this. Your unit will receive local information, but not TMC.

Thank you for contacting us.

Yours sincerely,

Sarah Emms Customer Care Manager (H04A) snipped-for-privacy@peugeot.com"

I would be interested to hear other peugeot drivers thoughts on this.

Reply to
JaffaB

Hi,

Keep in mind that I don't own a RT3-equipped Pug, and never drove myself through the UK.

That's the price to access technology which is sometimes amazing, and far too much. Here, in France, the government asked the GSM providers to pay 1 billion euros (IIRC, huge !) to access UMTS (GSM 3-G). This was just a way to put a tax on the atmosphere, as the government provides nor emitter nor technology. I guess it's the same kind of stuff with TMC over UK. The customer pays for a policy or a choice he has not made, and hence justs suffers of it.

You can think about something else : the TMS isn't the main feature of the RT3 (the same way an OLED display is not absolutely necessary on a headunit) and I hope you'll have some fun with it (FM / AM reception and whatsoever).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T