van

Off topic. mate has a vauxhall van and the temp guage gos up to 100 plus he has remove the thermostate but still gos up.i felt the rad and it was cold so i think it has a blockage in it .dos any body else think of any thing else.(the oil is clean and the water dos not go down, also there is no white stuff under the filler cap on the rocker box)

Reply to
Chrs

Hi Chris how long a trip does it take for the gauge to give a high reading? My partner van has a fault with the actual temperature sender, which means that at random the temp gauge can go from cold to overheating on the gauge in a matter of seconds, and then back to reading normal again. I am told its a known fault on various models of peugeot. Anyway, If the engine is running and hot, then it sounds to me like you say that its got an air lock. The only other thing I can think of is that the water pump has packed up internally and is not moving the coolant around. Hopes this helps

GGJ

Reply to
Gary G Jones

A jammed thermostat will have the same effect as a blockage and be easier and cheaper to repair. Might be worth looking there first.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Yes, I would look for a thermostat which is jammed shut. Take it out and heat it up in a pan of water on the stove.

If it does open, then flush the block, then the rad with a hose.

Reply to
Brian

he fitted new therostate. also he got told its the water pump. as the rad dos not get hot at all,even with engine running, top hose on rad gets hot but the bottom one is cold not even warm.

Reply to
Chrs