W Reg 306 HDi DTurbo dies under load

HI,

When accelerating hard in any gear the car performs OK but suddenly, around

2500rpm, there is a sudden lack of any acceleration, increased rattling noise from engine and black 'smoke' emitted from exhaust. If I then disengage the clutch the car returns to tick-over and I am able again to accelerate again gently with no noise or smoke. The problem repeats as soon as I try to accelerate hard again.

The car has passed the MOT test today, including emissions, and wondered if the symptoms might be caused by failed hydraulic tappet(s)?

Anybody experienced anything similar and what was the problem?

Cheers, Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

I'm guessing a bit here but the umm...I've completely forgotten the name of it....wastegate? Something to do with recirculating exhaust gasses. My Xantia turbo diesel (1.9TD not HDi) did something similar but without the rattling. Eventually my local garage disconnected the solenoid and all was fine. I know it's an older and less sophisticated lump which is why I said I was guessing.

Reply to
malc

In message , LennyK writes

Hi I had similar problem on a 406 HDI ( Bosch system ) but without the smoke , it was dying out at high revs , it turned out the fuel pump in the tank has a very small filter on the base , the most stupid idea I've ever seen , they that small they get full of rubbish and restrict the flow to the high pressure pump, you have to strip the casing around the pump to clean it , maybe worth checking

Reply to
Johno

Thanks for the reply Malc,

I tried disconnecting my EGR valve but the problem still exists.

Can you remember if your problem was the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve, which is opened by a solenoid to recirculate a bit of the exhaust gases back to the inlet manifold? Or, was it the wastegate, which I believe routes exhaust gas either through the turbo or directly to the exhaust?

Cheers, Lenny

Reply to
LennyK

EGR now that you jog my memory.

Reply to
malc

Don't know if anybody is interested but the problem came to a head last week with dramatic effect - a cam follower had split along its length from tappet to valve.

It appears that the rattle, under hard acceleration, was the cracked follower giving way but when back to tick over the follower returned to normal. Finally, the follower broke and the cam follower bearing fell apart causing the obvious symptoms of a inoperative valve.

All 8 followers replaced, oil changed and now car performing as normal maybe even better than before the problem arose (£300 garage bill).

Lenny

Reply to
LennyK