XU questions

Am i correct in assuming that all XU engines have the same engine mounts? Specifically would a 2.1TD lump (which i assume is an XU) fit with mounting points desgned for a 1.9 petrol XU? And whats the most powerful XU engine you can get? A 2l 16v 170bhp jobbie?

TIA

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Check to make sure it's definately an XU - I thought the biggest capacity XU was 1998cc? Could be wrong though, I don't know much about the diesel models. The mounts should all fit the same, or at least you should be able to use your existing mounts if there is a difference in the fit to the engine bay. The basic block never really changed AFAIK - although the 16v had quite a substantially larger head, which might make a difference on the top engine mount (not sure though).

I think so - interestingly, the GTi6 XU 16v engine has less power than the

16v unit from the 405 - I guess it's probably to compensate for tighter emissions laws.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Barnard

The XU10J4TE is the most powerful engine, it's as rare as rocking horse droppings over here, I've never seen one to be truthful. The XU10 from the

306 GTi6 and the Xsara VTS16v are more common, at 167bhp. BUT, it's not the most tune-able, it has a cast iron block, and smaller valves than the XU9J4 - the Cit BX16v and Mi16 lump. I think the XU9J4 is still the most useful and most tune-able lump, I've seen these at 225bhp with a standard bottom end.

Ah yes, but i dont think i'll be finding one of those on the cheap!!

Tell me about it. I miss my 205s! Although it is grin inducing in a sideways kind of way! ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hello,

Of course not ! Well, you were assuming the most powerfull XU engine was the

2.0 16v 167HP (XU10J4RS) - I just corrected you. And to tell the truth, if I ever had the occasion to get this engine (XU10J4TE ), and not considering money, I wish I had the car to go around it (so, a "street version" 405T16) :-)

Not kidding, you miss your 205 ? Damn', mine would miss me too ! The only one Volvo I ever wanted to *test drive*, not *own* was the 440 Turbo, a little, lovely coupe. The 340DL is, well, made of sharp edges, all steel made, IIRC, as heavy as it's ugly. That's a Volvo.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hello,

I only saw one, with an induction kit and a kind of "racing replica" exhaust. F*cking owners, they get £15k+ cars and tune them up like pigs. We were just talking about power, not rarety (spelling ?). Of course you can sail accross the seven seas before you find one !

Plus the catalyzer, which may be a problem (with Lambda sensor, MOT criterias (which I don't know) and so on). I can't tell you more, as I ain't no mechanic & unfortunately don't work for Pug.

I totally agree, even if (and you possibly already know that) I don't really like engine mods, excepted factory-approved mods (there were some at least until mid-80's) or from reputable companies like Ecosse.

225HP sounds like "possible traction problems" to me, but that's not the point.

BTW, no one knows power & tech specs for racing Mi16 engines (like the one which won the '74 french touring cars championship), and which may have run through Peugeot UK ?

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Couldnt agree more. But i'm researching for a project car i'm planning on doing. Possibly based around a 505...

I broke my 205 XS, and didnt have the time or resources to fix it yet again, so i sold it to a mate and brought the cheapest car i could find that had at least 6 months MoT. I wasnt expecting much, but its not a bad car, and it goes quite well for a measly 1.4, and its quite a laugh to drive (RWD and little grip in wet British weather!). Hopefully by the time spring comes i will have a bit of cash, and will look into getting another 205 DT

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hello,

Yet another RWD, no XU anymore :-)

Quite a laugh or slightly a scary drive.

What kind ? "Generic" DT (XRDT, GRDT, SRDT, SN DT) or a "damn so exciting" DTurbo ?

Regards, G.T (still '93 205 Junior D) snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hello,

Oooops, read "won the '94 french touring car championship" - A '74 Mi16 doesn't exist :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

What was the difference between the "Generic" ones and the DTurbo? AFAIK, they all had the same, non-intercooler XUD7T engine. Did they have different gear ratios or something?

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Personally I'd go for a 205 STDT (which you don't list above) - very nice

Matt

Reply to
Matt

XRDT/GRDT had the "classic" instrument panel (see XR specs), not sure for SRDTs or Sacré Numéro DT, but the DTurbo came with : - front air-vented discs (?), - sport velvet seats, - Rear openable window (on three-doors), - front electric windows, - central locking (no remote as standard), - GTI-like front & rear bumpers, with long-range lights (like on GTis), - Revcounter. The good point is all TDs came with what I call "Sport chassis", i.e 1.6 GTi drivetrains. Not sure all TDs had front air-vented discs.

No, all TD models had (at least, French specs) the same engine (XUD7T) and gearbox (should be a BE3/5) with same ratios, AFAIK.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hello,

Doesn't exist in France (and AFAIK the SRDT also didn't exist). French TD 205s were : - DTurbo (rhaaaa lovely) 90-95 ? ; - XRDT, GRDT (07/92-07/93) ; - Sacré Numéro TD (01/94-10/96). XUD7T production stopped on Oct., 96, so no more TD version anymore. Last

205 Diesel ever made : Generation D, XUD7/L, 60HP - possibly XUD9 for some destinations.

The range may be different, as I don't really know export-specific types.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

I used to have the Dturbo before its untimely end :(, and i would really like another, or possibly a 309 TD. Although mine did not have vented discs nor electric windows. However i have recently brought a set of vented calipers from a STDT, so that obviously did, and i'm pretty sure that had electric windows too, and also a set of the spoked alloys. It had more of a refined image though - compared to the slightly more sporty looking Dturbo. To be honest i wouldnt mind which one i had, as they're all the same underneath, but i would prefer the Dturbo or STDT. The real reason i want another TD is the strength (many suspension/drivetrain parts shared with GTis) and the tuning potential. The plan is to get one, put a set of GTi alloys on (if not already), sort out all the brakes (vented up the front, properly adjusted at the rear so the wheels will lock) and then take it rallying. Then when i've got a bit more money it will get an intercooler and wll be properly set up.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hello,

Alloys were not available here on DTurbos AFAIK, but as an option in the UK.

You've already exposed that here : rallying with a DTurbo.

Not sure an intercooler fits under the 205 bonnet, you may need an Automatic bonnet, and as you say, a proper setup (which may mean a lot of time).

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

intercooler

I would like to mount it above the engine (like a ZX for example), so an auto bonnet and possibly some vents will be incorporated.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hello Carl,

Of course, that's evident - I even wonder why I haven't thought of it before. The only thing really hard in your project would be fuel mix setup, which I wouldn't like to manage.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Well there a very good deisel tuning place over here called Allard, so when i finally get round to undertaking this project, it will probably end up there. This all of course requires money which, at the moment, isnt exactly flowing freely!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hello,

Diesel settings seems to cost a lot wherever you are :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T