XU7 oil leak

It looks like I have an oil leak from the sump seal at the clutch end of the XU7 engine in my 405. oil is present on the underside face of the crank case and down the end face of the sump but very little by the weep hole at the bottom of the clutch bell housing.

I conclude that the sump gasket has failed rather than the crankshaft oil seal. I don't know how long it has been leaking but it does not leave drips on the drive (yet). jan 1995 model 59k miles from new and the engine has never needed any attention

Does this seem a reasonable conclusion? It this a 'regular' problem? It is straightforward to drop the sump with the engine in the car? The aircon compressor is attached to the sump, but is there anything else major that has to come off before the sump does?

All assistance welcome

TIA

Bob

Reply to