1988 Grand Prix 2.8L... start/stalling problem

Hey all.

Here's a question for you... New (to me) 1988 Grand Prix 2.8L... When I got it home, it started and ran cleanly, though there was a small hole in the gas line. This has been fixed, new gas added (it was almost empty), and now it will start but immediately die.

In the process of troubleshooting, I've found the following:

-Fuel pump does not always make noise when key is in ON position (but seems to move when the engine is cranking)

-The fuel pump relay - whether it's present or not, the car does the same start/die routine. The fuse is still good there.

-The fuel filter is good and not blocked (found this when I was replacing the section of line that was leaking).

Any ideas would be greatly apprciated. I'm off to the wreckers now, to see if I can't find another relay and then add some gas (thinking perhaps I got some bad gas when I put some in last time).

Thanks.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Possibly air pockets in fuel line. Have you repeatedly tried to restart the car after replacing fuel filter, fuel line? Alot of air can build up in the fuel line after a disconnection is made. Fuel pump is only suppose to run for 2-5 seconds when power is turned on. Let us know how things go.

Reply to
Mike

Mike,

I was learning in the direction of air in the system or bad/watered gas. I've repeatedly tried to start it, and it starts, runs for 2-5 seconds, then dies. Here's the timeline of what's happened with the silver beast:

1) It was sitting for 3-4 months - aunt gives it to me. 2) Sits for another month while I finish working on my previous project. 3) Started the car, drove it around to check for probs - found it needed front/rear brake work, motor mount, oil plug and gas line patch. 4) Rear brakes are done; motor mount and oil plugs have been replaced, and oil/filter change has been done. 5) Gas line patched in two spots (with appropriate strength neoprene gas tube and screw-clamps). Now it won't start. There appears to be pressure in the tank (vacuum feel when undoing gas cap).

I bought a replacement fuel pump relay today, and that seems to have helped a little (engine starts, runs a few seconds longer than it did this morning, then dies).

I guess the next thing on the adgenda is the fuel filter.... but first, how does one remove air from the fuel system?

Thanks.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Oh yeah... I also added some high-octane gas today at the same time I changed the pump relay. (I can now hear the pump come on, so there's an improvement).

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

You don't. I replace fuel filters all the time, and fuel lines, too, and there's no need to worry about air, unless it's a diesel.

GW

Mark wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh