1990 Grand Prix Aux Spring Removal??

Hello All! Just ran into this problem. Also, I am a new poster. 1990 Pontaic Grand Prix 2 door 3.1L w/ 314,5000 miles. The strut bearing plates are gone in the rear so I am trying to replace them. Thought I would replace the struts as well, but ran into the J37956 tool problem. This tool look like a modified C-clamp. You can see a pic of this by doing a Google search for 'GM tool J37956 '. My question: is there any other alternative at all?? I have not tried the C-clamp that I have and it looks like it will work, but my repair manuals recommend against it. Anyone else tried anything else? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Ashley Brown

Shep

Thanks for the info, Shep. Slipped a bit, but it worked. See you around.

Reply to
Ashley Brown