1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Shift Lock Problem

I have a 98 Grand Prix GT 4 door. Common problem - we can not get out of park unless we press the shift lock button. My wife said at first it happened only some time, and now it is all the time. This makes me think a bad solenoid? I thought if it were a ground or something else it would have happened all at once - is this good thinking? Either way, I am not sure what I can do myself to fix this problem. Can anyone give me some direction? Thanks.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Are your break lights working? When you press the brake pedal the switch sends a signal to the PCM and the PCM picks the solenoid. This is a simplistic explanation of what happens. You should probably take it to a qualified service shop if you are not versed on electrical troubleshooting. You could spend a lot of money changing parts on a guess....

Reply to
Woody

Thanks for the advice. The brake lights do work, but there is no 'click' when you press on the break. I never took active notice of this before, but I think I rememeber hearing that click when pressing the brake. Does that info help provide a more limited scope of a potential fix?

Chris.

Reply to
Chris