1993 grand am problems

Having trouble with 93 grand am quad 4 ohc. Was driving to work last week, started skipping, got worse as i drove. No power, skipping like crazy, having to shift gears to keep it going. Friend who is mechanic has installed coil(s), new boots, plugs, fuel filter, coolant sensor. Nothing helped. Said catalytic converter was glowing red, so cut pipe from converter to engine to see if this helped, but didn't. Big mistake, now sounds like freight train. At any rate, I have always had check engine soon light to come on, but always ran perfect. I did replace oxygen sensor a few months back, but light still comes on. Another stange thing, speedompter quit a few days ago, but at times comes starts working. When it does my doors lock and cruise control starts working. Can park car and will not work for a few miles, then clicks on. Know its working when hear doors lock. Can someone give advise on maybe what to check next. Don't want to tie up a lot of money by keep putting parts on. Advance Auto check codes pointed to the cooling sensor which was replaced with no change. Coil housing was replaced a couple of years ago. Sorry for long post, but need advise on the skipping. Thanks

Reply to
Sam

You may want to take a close look at the coil housing even if it is only two years old. This thing seems to be a weak link based on my experiences similar to yours. Look for visual signs of burning or tracking. Also use an ohmmeter to check for resistance between the high voltage terminals. There should be no continuity between any terminal to any other. Use the highest resistance scale on the meter when making this test. Check for pinched wires between the coil housing and IDI cover assembly that it mounts to.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Thanks for reply. The coil housing was replaced by mechanic, think I'll try it myself. Any instructions or links I can look at, since I've not done this before. Thanks

Reply to
Sam

It's not too difficult:

Unplug the ignition wiring connector on the driver's side end of the IDI cover

Remove four bolts that hold the cover on (13 mm)

Pull up to disengage the cover and boots from the spark plugs; might have to tug pretty hard if the mechanic did not put silicon grease on the boots at last assembly

Once you get that far turn the cover upside down and you can pretty much figure it out on your own; not complicated

More questions . . . post here.

Don't know if the AutoZone site covers this procedure in their repair section or not. You might check there. They have lots of information for lots of cars.

Also consider looking for a manual at your library.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Replaced coil housing and is now running smooth. Thanks for help.

Reply to
Larry

Good job on your part. Thanks for reporting your results.

Reply to
Silver Surfer