1993 Grandprix Interior lights

Interior lights stay on. I have un plugged the dash switch and they still stay on. when you shut the doors you can here the click after a few seconds, but they still stay on. What could this problem be. Thank-you for the help.

Reply to
Sportsman

Sportsman

Do they stay on forever? It has a timer that keeps the lights on for about a minute after the doors are closed. I assume that the interior lights dimmer is not in the "on" position. When you say that you have unplugged the switch , are you referring to the assembly for head, fog and interior lights or the switch for the door? If it is the door switch, remove the assembly and see if the lights go out. If so, disassemble the switch and see if the timer relay contacts are fused closed. They may be dirty so clean them and see what happens.

If the clicking that you hear is from inside the door, it is for the seat belt tensioner. There is a solenoid to keep the inertia lock from locking when the door is opening.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

yes they do stay on forever. The light dimmer is in the off position. yes I removed the the headlight/ fog light assembly and the lights, still stay on.I will try to take the door switch assembly apart next. Thank- you for your reply.

Reply to
Sportsman

I used to have this problem all the time on my '91 Grand Prix and sometimes on my '92 Grand Prix. The car has a feature that makes the lights stay on for 30 seconds or so after the doors are closed. I think the problem turned out to be the actual switch in the door, and the actual control module that controls the interior lights. Only problem is I can't seem to remember where that module was located. I would try making sure the actual door switch (the switch that presses in when the door is closed) is clean, and working properly on all doors.

Reply to
80 Knight