Problem with my 96 GJC interior lights

Recently the interior lights on the 96 GJC will not shut off when I turn the ignition off and remove the key. After locking the doors, the interior lights still stay on. The interior lights will shut off when I start the Jeep and I am able to manually turn on or off the lights, as long as the key is in the ignition and in the start position. As soon as I turn the ignition to the off position, the interior lights turn on and stay on. The local dealership suggested to replace the body control module. After replacing the body control module with several used BCMs, the problem still exist. To get by, I have removed the fuse for the interior lights. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem and how I can fix it?

Thanks, Gilbert

Reply to
gil

Bad ground somewhere, perhaps? Check the battery to body ground first.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

gil did pass the time by typing:

Is the cargo light turned on? In the 93 you just give it a slight push like the forward lamps and it stays on.

Other than that, you might have a bad illuminated entry relay. It's in the relay center inside the glovebox. (on the 93 at least) you remove a couple of screws that hold down the bottom of the glove box and the relays are in there. Relay is the one furthest right toward the passenger.

Reply to
DougW

There's probably a mercury switch in the tailgate... make sure that it's not gotten loose and hanging at a wrong angle. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Thanks, I check for this relay in my 96 JGC.

Gil

Reply to
gil

Do you know where that mercury switch is localed?

Reply to
gil

It would be inside the rear door... you would have to pull off the trim panel to see inside. When the door lifts up, it causes the mercury to touch two contacts, completing the circuit. Your underhood lamp (at least mine) is a similar arrangement, but much easier to get to. Good luck. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell