1993 Sunbird wont start.

1993 Sunbird wont start.. Engine was running fine. Car chugged out and stalled 150' from wife's destination, which happend to be an
old guy's garage. She was going there for a non-auto issue. "Old Ed" is known to be competent mechanic, but he cant figure out the problem.
We've got Spark on the plug wires, fuel pressure on the fuel rail, got voltage on the wires leading to the injectors.
He told me it doesn't fire at all even with ether. He's a real square guy, and wont even charge me for his time spent diagnosing it, but he's lost.
I've told him to stop spending $0 time on it. He wont charge me if he cant fix it, and O'l Ed has cash business to do, but not alot. I like O'l Ed. It will cost me $100 to tow it home. Ed's open to ideas. What are we/he missing here?
MPD
PS: I bought it for $100 late Oct' '05 from a 25yr old neighbor. Strictly as a second "banger" car to take the extra travel time off the '01 primary car. He was asking $300, but for Me, $0. I insisted on the $100. He told me it needed an complete exhaust, brakes all around, and front end work. I spent $170 on exhaust from the engine back, $120 on front pads and a bad rear brake line+cyl, $100 on a new ball joint, and $80 on a pair of tires. Thats $570 for a good running '93 sunbird. My $570 got me 4 good months and 12k mles. I cant see spending $100 to tow it home to ponder the puzzle in my driveway, or tow it to another mechanic to run up a bill. I'm looking for a list of "Did You Check?" ideas before I toss the pontiac. Additionally, If I give "O'l Ed" the nudge in the right direction, He'll solve a riddle and I'll pay him for a job well done.
If no good ideas come from this, We'll junk it and let "O'l Ed" hang onto the $100 from the Junkyard.
Thanks, Mike
does it have good compression? i bet ed checked that. did he get any diagnostic codes?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Since you have positively eliminated everything else, that leaves timing.
Could be a timing chain issue. Pull the intake hose off the TB and place hand over TB intake and have someone crank the engine over. Try to feel for air coming OUT of the intake. Had that happen on my 87 GA when the timing gear blew up. Good luck, and check back in.
" Paul " <"=?x-user-defined?Q??= Paul

Well Ed got it running. Claimed it was spark plug wires. (?!?!) Ran fine for a few hours, then chugged out again on highway. After a costly tow, the shop that towed it figured out it happens as soon as the engine heats up. They are guessing a sensor or something. Unwilling to pour any more money into it, so had it junked. Hated to do it, but it was towed to nowhere near home I hate unsolved mysteries Thanks to all for the info though. Mike D