1994 Grand Prix slow accelerating and high RPMs

I have a 1994 Grand Prix with a rebuilt transmission that is about 2 years old. It has worked great until about 2 weeks ago when my son was driving it home. He stopped to get some gas, and noticed afterwords that the car was very sluggish in accelerating, and did not respond to the gas pedal very well. When I drive it, its seems like maybe the internal clutch is slipping in every gear except in reverse where it drives just fine. The engine is getting enough gas, so its not the fuel line. There seems to be the correct amount of fluid in the transmission, but I did notice some fluid under the car. How difficult is it to replace the transmission fluid. I like to try this before taking the car to a transmission garage. Thanks.

Reply to
Rob

It's pretty easy to change about 1/2 of the fluid. The rest is much more difficult. Why do you suspect transmission and not something else?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I do not know what else it could be if it is not the transmission, unless the 2nd gear switch has been activated. But I checked the switch and it is off.

Reply to
Rob

It could be the trans. Possible pump failure or broken seal rings. What you describe would also fit a clogged exhaust system. Put a vac gauge on the engine and see what it reads. Procedures are readily available on the web.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I figured out the problem. It is a 15 amp fuse. When I replaced the transaxle fuse found on the passenger side of the hood, the car shifted and accelerated normally. But the fuse blew again, so I will have to figure out what is causing it to blow.

Is the second gear switch on the same circuit?

=AB=BB wrote:

Reply to
Rob

Great diagnosis! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to the

2nd gear switch problem. The diagram that I have shows that fuse also runs the canister purge solenoid and the transaxel position switch. However, all of the above are apparently grounded through the ecm.
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul