1994 grandprix gtp,engine idle to high

my 94 gtp,3.4 engine on start up will rev up to 3000+ then come down and die, if i try to keep it from stalling (foot pedal) it will rev up to 3000+, constantly falling back to 0-600 rpm or stall , when it is warm,(engine) it wants to always idle high ,run fast ,its hard on the brakes when i'm trying to stop and the rpm is at 1500+. It does this about

85% of the time in all conditions, hot ,cold,wet and dry,also mention at mid to high speed the engine seems fine (45-110kph)have noticed a bog /miss once only after storage of 6mths , also it has never given a code on the dash...any help will be greatly appreciated thx...aj
Reply to
ajm

Sounds like a really bad vacuum leak. Check for that first, including the intake manifold gasket. It is a 60 degree engine. Then check the MAF, TPS, IAC, and throttle body.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

I had a similar problem on my 97 Grand Am with a 3100, V6. It ended up as a badly clogged Idle Air Passage on the throttle body. I fixed it by removing the throtlle body and cleaning it inside and out.

Reply to
scogod2003

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

would you suggest aftermarket gaskets or stick with o.e.m if aftermarket what type? , ajm

Reply to
ajm

Reply to
robert -wanda fox