1998 GP rust thru

Anyone have experience with the corrosion warranty on a Pontiac Grand Prix? Ordered mine spring 1998, delivered June 4 1998, Unfortunately have to endure Upstate NY winters but wash underbody whenever possible in winter, always wax several times a year, body looks impeccable but near gas fill cover on back fender noticed four tiny bumps in paint, rust coming through , not on outside yet but will be. The soonest I have ever had any rust thru on a car up here was eight years and that was on a 1973 vehicle. I never garage them in the winter, let the stuff stay frozen on the car.

Taking to local dealer on Wednesday and they will "look" at it.

Reply to
rck

What YOU describe is not rust thru.

Sounds more like rust spots forming from chips in the paint, possibly from banging that area of the quarter panel with the gas pump nozel.

Also ask a GOOD qualified paint expert if that area has been repainted ( Before you bought it ) already. Sometimes these dealers do a quickie touch with a spray can up if there's a nick, and they don't tell you about it at the time of purchase.

My car had a few quickie touch ups before I bought the car and what do I have in those area's now ? Rust spots !

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~269,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

It is not from the outside in, there are no nicks or chips, the paint is bubbling from the inside out, car cancer as I like to call it, Eventually the paint comes off and there are rust holes, if you stop it now the repair work will be less

It seems to be occurring where the trunk meets the wheelwell, perhaps there is a weld or something there that is defective. I have not seen this an any of the cars around here, as I said it usually takes about 8 years of our winters to show some rust and that is usually on door frames, wheel frames and trunk edges, not on an upper fender.

I took it to the dealer today, they agreed it was rust coming thru from the back, If we really wanted to we could break the paint bubble and the rust would show, they took pics and suggested calling Pontiac customer care.

That is where I am now.

Reply to
rck