1999 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door theft system? Help?

We got a used 1999 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door a month ago. It was not sold with a theft deterrent system. However, when we start it, the word THEFT appears in red on the dashboard with all the other system lights. Any ideas? Would Pontiac know if I called them and asked if it has one? And if it does have one do I do something to enable it?

We just have a standard key that came with it although it's very skinny.

Geico is giving us a discount on our car insurance, too, because they show it has one. Thanks. Bill

Reply to
billdana

AFAIK, all J bodies of that era had a passive anti theft system.

Yes. It has a passive anti theft system.

They better know (they built it). Have the VIN handy just in case.

What do you mean by "enable?"

Does the theft light go out once the engine is running?

Yup, the anti theft mechanism is built into the ignition lock cylinder, no pellet or transponder in the key although the system pretty much protects much the same as the old passkey system in use by GM since the mid 80s.

Passive anti theft is not to be confused with an alarm system.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

By enable it I mean how do we set the alarm if it has one? I have heard about someone's Cadillac once something about how they turned their key twice right or left after shutting the door and that set their alarm.

And then if I figure out how to set the alarm how do I disable it when I get into my car?

What is a PASSIVE ANTI THEFT SYSTEM? I've never heard of one.

The red THEFT light just comes on momentarily as with all the other lights and gauges when we start the car and then it goes off as with all the other switches.

Thanks for the info! Bill

Reply to
billdana

The 99 Sunfire didn't come with an alarm system from GM. Not standard equipment, not optional equipment. It may have an after-market alarm, but its operation is anyones guess at this point.

See above.

A system of components that make it difficult to hot-wire or jimmy the ignition switch in order to steal the vehicle. Passive means there is no separate action needed by the vehicle operator for the system to work as designed. The system on your Pontiac consists of: A Hall Effect switch imbedded in outer portion of the ignition lock cylinder. The instrument cluster. The PCM The wiring between the components.

The system works like this: When the ignition key is turned, a magnet in the inner portion of the ignition lock cylinder passes by the Hall Effect switch, this action causes a voltage output to the instrument cluster, as long as this voltage output occurs at the correct time in relation to the ignition circuits being powered up, the instrument cluster authorizes the PCM to allow fuel and spark (in some cases, actual starter motor engagement may also be involved). Hot wiring the car won't get the engine running because fuel and spark have not been enabled. Jimmying or slide hammering the ignition lock will not get the car running because either the magnet will be destroyed and/or the voltage pulse from the Hall Effect switch will be timed incorrectly. the Hall Effect switch can not be easily bypassed because the exact voltage is learned by the instrument cluster and unless that exact voltage is known ahead of time, it would take a thief more time than they'd want to be vulnerable to get the car running.

Other PATS systems involve the use of a transponder key that is read by an antenna that is part of the ignition lock cylinder. (pronounced; expensive to replace the key) The predecessor to the system you have now was called "Passkey," it involved a resistor chip of various resistances imbedded in the shank of the ignition key.

Sounds like the PATS is working as designed.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Hi:

The resistor pellet in the key system was called V.A.T.S,

The second design as the OP is referring to is a Passkey 2.

The hall effect system is the Psskey 3 system.

I hope this helps

RK

Reply to
Refinish King

Nope. He has "Passlock."

Hall Effect is/was used in all versions of Passlock. (big clue here being the three wires going to the sensor) The differences between I, II and III is in the proofing strategy. All versions of Passkey used a resistor pellet.

I'm just not quite sure how...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Thanks for the clarification:

I worked on a bunch, where the key pushed up a switch on the ignition switch housing.

I thout that was a passkey 2.

Thank you again

RK

Reply to
Refinish King

Nope, probably the key buzzer.

Glad to help.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I have a switch and harness assembly on my desk now:

From a 98 Blazer, with the passkey 2 system. It has a switch that was at the ntop of the housing, and it has a resistor in it. The key buzzer is at the bottom side of the lock cylinder.

Reply to
Refinish King