2000 Bonneville will not start

My 2000 Bonnie will not start. The car seemed fine on the way to work, fluid levels are OK. When turning it over, there is a loud clunking noise, and it seems sluggish when trying to turn over. I had a battery booster on it earlier today, did not help or hurt anything. I want to try to hook it up to a vehicle soon (it's in a parking garage, which is why I tried the booster first), but I was wondering if anything else may be causing the problem. I gave it a little gas while trying to start it (which I know i probably shouldn't do) and it stopped cranking at that point. Any help will be appreciated.

Reply to
no

The loud clunking noise when turning over might mean the starter motor bolts have loosened up (or, worse yet, some might have already fallen out leaving the starter hanging on the remaining, loose, bolt). This should be easy to check -- just slide under the car and see if you can move the starter by hand...

Reply to
Ron Seiden

Let me know what happened.

Reply to
Marko

Couldn't find anything loose, maybe looking in the wrong place tho. At this point, it still acts like it wants to turn over, but won't, and I'm just gonna have it towed. Thanks for the suggestion, even though I couldn't find what I was looking for.

Reply to
no

Had it towed in to AAA's shop. They ran diags and want to change out plugs and wires. So I have 2 questions.

  1. Could this be causing the problem?

  1. Is 5 an accurate estimate for 1 hour of diag, an oil change, plugs, wires, and 2 hours of labor?

Just seemed a little off to me

Reply to
no

I would doubt it, myself.

Depends. If you figure they are $80 or so an hour for labor, 3 hours labor would be $240, plus the plugs and wires (if AC/Delco) would be around $150, so it adds up.

Reply to
80 Knight

I agree. Seems reasonable and could well be the problem.

Lee

2000 SSEi
Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter

FYI

Apparently the plugs and wires were under warranty, so they replaced them free. The car then started, but was running very rough. While runing, the crank sensor was "going nuts", so they'll be replaing that. I'll keep you posted

Reply to
no