2002 Sunfire oil filter

Hi Group,

I had the pleasure of doing my first oil change on my daughters 2002 Sunfire with the 2.2 engine, the dealer did the first 9 oil changes for her since she bought the car new from them, she did have to pay for a new oil filter only each time. Anyways the oil filter is on the right rear of the engine directly above the exhaust pipe. I ended up removing the right front tire and reaching in thru the wheel well to get at the oil filter in order to replace it. I also wrapped the exhaust pipe with reynolds wrap to keep the oil off the exhaust pipe. How I would have loved for the engineer to explain to me this wonderful placement and what he/she was thinking. Does anyone know of another way to get at this oil filter when you do not have access to a hoist or a pit.

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Ken

Just a thought, perhaps the engineer design this engine specifically for rear wheel drive vehicle as there 1st objective. That means the engine should have been mounted 90 degree out. If that the case, than accessing the oil filter would not be a problem ? My family had a Pontiac Transport with 3.8L engine. Same problem. The front wheel had to be turned to far left in order to access the oil filter. Better access of oil filter if the front wheel is removed from the vehicle. I thought if the engine can be rotated by 90 degree such as camaro or other rear wheel drive vehicle.

:)

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
Mark

myself aswell

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Nasty, aren't they? I get at it the same way that you do...only I don't take the wheel off. But I do work on a hoist.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Unlikely. The 4-cylinder 2.2L Ecotec Engine has only been used in FWD cars.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Lucky you work at GM....a sh*t load of Nissan trucks, and Toyota trucks are like that too, and some people have BIG tires in the way. GW

shiden_kai wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

No, I'm not lucky....I'm working on a Catera...(grin). And I'm losing my ass.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai