2003 : Auto Upkeep Figures

Miles driven in 2003 = 25,128

Routine Maintenance & Repairs $2431.07

Fuel Cost ( 84 Fill ups ) = $1740.22

Total = $4171.29

----------------------------------------- Fuel Cost since vehicle was new, Feb 4,1991 to Dec 31, 2003 = $16,512.85

======== Harryface ======== ( who wonders what parts he'll be buying in 2004 ? )

1991 Bonneville LE 3800V6 _~_~_~274,504_~_~~_~
Reply to
Harry Face

HF, How much is gas in Chicago these days? Regular is $2.35 here in Maui.

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address

Harry Face wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

$1.40 in El Paso.

Reply to
JC Der Koenig

Well is is paid off, so its just like having a $200 a month car payment for Harry there.

Reply to
Paradox
1992 Grand Am (3.3, TH-125C) Parts: $2413.00 Labor: just my own Miles: 12561 @ 20.4 mpg Gas (est): $1000.00
Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

"Harry Face" wrote

I don't know how you guys can afford these kind of costs (I'm assuming that is in one year?)!

Ian (who spent 24.00 dollars in routine maintenance and repairs on my k-car in 2003)

Reply to
shiden_kai

$24.00 for the whole year!? Only one oil change last year...heh? Must not drive much then.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

"James C. Reeves" wrote

Right...I work in a GM dealership...you don't really think it costs me any money other then filters for oil changes do you?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"Paradox" wrote

Which is about $170 a month more then I want to pay for "regular maintenance".

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Well it is a 13 year old car, to each his own I guess...

Reply to
Paradox

"Paradox" wrote

And mine is an 18 year old car. Of course, I have no doubt that Harry wouldn't want to be seen dead in my car anyway. Heh heh....

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian,

Yes, the prices I posted are for 1 year.

What do you mean you don't know how we can afford these prices ( for upkeep )? People spend thousands of dollars on their cars every year.

If you want the car to keep running you got to maintain and it cost $$ to maintain. I do all the work myself ( or mech Friend does the hard stuff ), plus I save on parts cost, because a friend works at a Chevy parts Dept.

2003 saw only 4 big buck purchases. The fuel pump job was $550 + $55 for labor,, The rear struts & springs were $368.00 + $125 labor, L & R rear wheel bearing hubs $482.00 + $50 labor.

The rest of the $$ went towad oil changes, two tires, RW alignment, trans oil change, F brakes, water pump, fuel Inj cleaner, headliner, LF door hinge, flat tire repairs, 6 spark plugs, serpentine belt , throttle body cleaner, liquid wrench, brake kleen, 10 lug nuts & stabalizer links.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,504 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

GW.

Gas by me is 159,196, 179. Up in Elmhurst it was 149, 159, 169 Not sure about the Chicago.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,504 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

If I want the car to run poorly & ride poorly I don't have to put that kind of money into it.

Don't forget all the stuff I replaced in 2003 were original parts, like the rear susp, fuel pump, rear wheel bearings.

With the mileage I put on I need it running good, I don't want to be stranded in the middle of Dennis Smith Wisconsin & have to ring some local's door bell to call a towtruck.....lol

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,504 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

this reminds me, its almost time to bribe the lube rack guys to do my 2nd oil change of the year.

Reply to
Paradox

"Paradox" wrote

Unfortunately....I can't trust any of the lube rack guys in our shop.....well....Cathy is ok, but she's a lady.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

$2431.07 is a lot of money for maintenance and repairs. Besides oil changes, what has your bonneville required that would amount to that much money? Don't you think you need a new car if you are spending that much money on maintenance?

Reply to
Vince Markarian

"Harry Face" wrote

Don't I know it.....I see the bills every day that I generate. On Monday, I start a job on a Cadillac engine.....basically resealing the engine for coolant and oil leaks. $5300 will be the final bill. I guess the guy doesn't want his 10 year old car to leak any oil or antifreeze.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

LOL. It'd be a shame if a car leaked!

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

V,

See my reply in this thread that has " IAN" in the subject line. It says what parts I've replaced.