2003 sunfire power window failure in extreme cold temperatures

All the power windows work except the driver's side when the temperature dips close to freezing, then it functions normally if the temperature rises to about 5 degrees C. What can I do? Liebchen

Reply to
liebchen

Take it all apart, clean everything super clean, lube everything, and put it all back together. That includes taking the regulator and motor completely apart.

Reply to
« Paul »

Yes, the tracks and gears will 'gumm up' over time. 4th generation Firebirds are known for drive side window failures. After having mine replace, it popped off the track. Instead of going back to the dealer who would have fixed it for free, took on the job myself. That is when I learned the tracks MUST be free of old grease and dirt. I used carb cleaner on a rag to clean up the tracks and rollers.

I happened to have a sync. grease handy so applied it with a Q-tip giving a even film on the tracks. Also, apply to the regulator gears as well. Run the window up/down a few times to work the grease in before re-installing the door pannel.

One last item. Depending on how much use the window has had over the years, a switch could also be going as well. The power door lock and window switches were designed by accountents for LOW cost and to get past thw warrentee period, not by real car guys/girls. Since you may have to pop the switch assesmbly off the arm rest to remove get at the window regulator, recommend changing the window AND drives side power door lock switch at the same time.

IF all else fails, well, buy a new motor and replace it. The regulator itself does not wear out, motors will. Again, the motors are designed by accountents, not real car loving people.

Take care.

Reply to
brxsep

Reply to