GRUMble Has ruined my life!!!!

Martyn,

I hope you can live with yourself - I've just discovered that i can't live without a 101!

I thought I'd got over my initial infatuation years ago. (Whilst I was a teenager I first saw a 101 at the Beverley Museum of Army transport (near York)) and I thought 'Wow!' what a motor!, I want one!

Since then, every time I've seen a 101, I've gone weak at the knees! I know it's pathetic, but what can you do??

I've just got around to looking at your 101 website, and it's rekindled my desire to get a 101 GS, RHD.

(I love your tyres! - awesome!)

I know I'll end up spending a fortune on this project, but I hope you will feel some sympathy for me, and persuade me that I'm going to do the right thing!

I'm not crazy am I?

Regards,

Andy.

Reply to
horse

Of course you're doing the right thing! :-)

There's a strange and developing lust that goes with a 101 - which is why I now have 2 of them. The thing is, to the uninitiated they can seem quirky - however once you _own_ one, you'll know why they have become the 'Holy Grail' of the Landie world. You will make lots of new friends - including the manager of your local filling station :-)

Well, I think a little bit of 'being totally bonkers' is necessary for owning a 101 - live with it, be happy :-)

I have a reprint from the Club Magazine "Six Stud" which may be of help when you go looking. It's common sense really, but handy to jog the memory :-)

In M$ Word format:

or a plain text file:
There's also a very good club, which is well worth joining, and has an absolutely wonderful Membership Secretary ;-)

There's even a downloadable .pdf application form:

I shall be delighted to welcome you to the "terminally broke, but with a very big permanent grin on their face" club!

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Twas Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:27:14 +0100 when horse put finger to keyboard producing:

Welcome, to the dark side....

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Once bitten!!!

Wish you had said a few months ago I just gave mine to my father-in-law (it was my late hubbys)

Like the rest of us

You have to be to own one

--

101 Ambie - Gemma 101 GS - Tommy (father-in-law got it) and I can't drive any of them :-(
Kay

My biggest puzzle is how on erth does any one manage to get into the cab ?

Reply to
Larry

I know someone who thinks I'm crazy to be selling mine though.....

(No, it's not a GS)

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yeah - it takes a little getting used to...

The 'standard' 101 has some 'steps' bolted to the wheel, see:

The use of these is an art one soon develops when one generally only wears sandals!

Now, obviously these steps had to go when I had the new wheels made, and eventually got the tyres in from the States... So, 'the great god Warren' fabricated some 'steplettes' - almost to my very own design - but better. See:

As the height has increased by a good couple of inches, there's a real 'knack' involved. Having said this, my dog seems to have mastered it pretty well. Better, in fact, than I at times :-)

Others have their own strategies - Kay especially so - which I'm sure she will explain herself.

Go on Larry, your S3 is only the start. You have the hat - now work toward a 101 :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I know lots of people who think you're slightly more than bonkers for selling it - although I guess you're right, in that if you aren't using it, and do have another project on the go, then it's nicer for it to be owned by someone who will get use and enjoyment out of it.

Odd, isn't it, that a few people have taken an ambi and rebuilt it to a GS specification. This, although a lot of work, used to be the way to get a GS, when only ambis were being released and sold.

I don't s'pose your partner could be talked into buying it from you? Best of both worlds then, and he'd always have a handy mechanic on hand to sort the odd issue or two... :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Yeah, they are a nice vehicle - I'd have one myself as a camper if only I had the storage space for it....

Reply to
Llandrovers!

That's what I thought. And I now have another project on the go, thanks to someone giving me a fully restored SWB IIa rolling Chassis, engine & box. All (!!) I have to do is fit my IIa bodywork to it.

Yeah, like he's got any money. I'm trying to reduce my outgoings by giving up the garage it's in and saving myself £300 a year, not to mention the £160 in tax. I mean, it's cost me £600 since it was put in the garage and it's done about 750km in that year. Besides, he fancies something a little more in the Classic Vehicle line if he was going to buy a car.

Oh, and he's my boyfriend, not my partner. :D

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I wonder how much it has appreciated in value during that time, though? I guess, (if I remember correctly what you paid for it) that even sat, paying tax and MOTing it each year - you'd still be well into profit - more so each month... 101s are, price wise, like a rising balloon. The question is, how long can you hang on to the rope?

I'm never really very confident as to how I should refer to anyones boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/wife/hubby or whatever. I'm not really as socially aware and politically correct as many think, sadly. Just ask mi bird ;-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

We've realised!

wanders off, whistling innocently........

Reply to
Llandrovers!

at the moment I use a Brevit but will upgrade to a ladder as the standard step is a bit of a problem when ya right leg don't work right.

;-) K

--

101 Ambie - Gemma 101 GS - Tommy (father-in-law got it) and I can't drive any of them :-(
Kay

You're crazy!

Who'd want one of those stupid 101 things? :-)

Add a bit to that 'fortune', just to be on the safe side :)

Do as Martyn says, and join the club. Nobody seems to have mentioned yet that theres also a 101 discussion group at

which is pretty useful. If youre looking at buying one, then the club has a fair few for sales in the magazine. Also keep an eye out at
(theres links to lots of dealers on there too)

Tom

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes, you know what I paid for it. As for appreciating value, you're right. Assuming you bought yours back in '98 from Craddocks, they were selling them off at £1500 a time. I think the going rate for an ambi is now somewhere around £3000-£3500, T&T. (A GS is around £2000-2500) I've had 3 or 4 people who were prepared to offer me £1500, without repairs, sight unseen.

I guess I'm just greedy! Although seriously, I need the money for other things, and if nobody is going to pay me what it's worth, I'll keep the damn thing, rather than let it go too cheaply.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Fri, 03 Oct 2003 22:37:22 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I don't think a lottery win would allow you to buy Dorset. Not that overall I've that much time for the place, but even so, some people seem quite attached to bits of it.

'ere, now that's summat worth a lighthearted discussion:

presume that you've just won a million quid on the lottery or other jammy-git method of getting instantly rich.

wot yer gonna do with it?

Personally, I reckon I'd invest about half in something reasonably secure (inasmuch as any investment can be that these days) and spend the rest having fun. I'd probably buy a new Range Rover, 'cos I think they're cool, ditto I expect a 101 (or maybe a Unimog). I expect I'd buy some suitably-remote property with some nice big sheds to keep automotive stuff in.

and a boat of some kind. Not a gold-plated yacht (and in fact, you'd not get much of a gold-plated yacht for a mere half-million...) but summat like a decent-sized trawler or such which was suitable for ocean-use. Converting this would be a fun way of occupying time.

Oh, and probably a PPL and perhaps an aircraft to go with it, although it might be a better bet to hire such when yer wanted it. Helicopter licence would be handy, too, and would allow of doing odd jobs flying choppers etc. if the ready cash ran a bit low.

I reckon I'd have no real problem disposing of half a mill. in a year or so, given the chance...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Personally I'd spend half of it on Wine,women and fast cars* the rest I'd just waste

*I would have to include a couple of land rovers in this category

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Add it to my other 5 Million.....

;-)

Seriously though

Fix all the seals.

With the remainder I'd buy a round down the pub, and may be if I'm lucky enough left over to fill up Morph.

:-)

Lee D

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

I'd buy a wildcat :0) Just so I could make tinboxes look slow, now that's what I call revenge! or possibly an overfinch rangie, same idea.

Reply to
Agrippa

A Genuine Parts radiator hose....?

Tim Hobbs